cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerns billed for cancelling in 14 days of new contract?

MikeJM
Dialled in

Hi,

I have just had a bad experience with Virgin media over moving home.

I phoned Virgin media to tell them I was moving and did not require TV anymore as house was being refurbished.

I was informed that I would have to setup a new contract as could not change package, I agreed.

After a while I agreed on a package that was available to all new customers, no discounts for being with Virgin/NTL for over 35 years. £65 for broadband and phone - monthly rolling contract - no bargain anyone can purchase.

I agreed and was told I could cancel within 14 days.

After 6 days I had to cancel as my new home needed major work and would be no point in having a service until completed about 3 months.

I cancelled over the phone with no problems through retention, very helpful.

They stated nothing to pay as cancelled within 14 days this was on the 22nd of December 2022.

I received a bill yesterday for £144.58 - owed from last bill £18.42, package changes £41.16, package £65.00 and other charges £20.00.

My last contract was £104.00 and paid on the 21 December 2022 and paid up?

I did not change packages as I was told had to except new package without discounts, no package change?

Package this was the cost of the package I agreed to and cancelled within 14 days.

Other changes which I have no idea, maybe extra profits?

I have phoned Virginmedia and was informed that there is no 14 days, I have to give notice of a month and pay for it??

I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager, I was told that the agent dealt with all concerns and there was no one else I could speak too???

I even asked to be transferred or speak to the legal department or have contact details and was told only support is the online help????

Could anyone point me in the right direction of a number for Virgins legal department?

I contacted CISAS customer dispute ombudsman which Virgin is registered on and they stated to try to resolve it with Virgin first and them come back.

I believe I have?

Also, the BBC programme with martin Lewis can assist but would need to pay so they can investigate and put in on their show, which could take weeks.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Zoie,

Thank you for reading my post and sorry is is long winded and repeated (copied and pasted) apologies.

When I initially contacted Virgin media about cancelling my contact from my old house, I was put through to retention.

I explained I was working on the house and did not require TV and basic internet just for emails and buying materials etc.

We finally agreed on a package for the time being until my house was ready £65 monthly contract.

He stated I could not transfer due to changes so had to start a new contract (over 35 years with NTL and Virgin) lost privileges. 

The gentleman told me that's all I would pay was £65 no mention of extra charges and no information on the contract sent.

I had to temporary move into my mothering law due to dry root found in my floors and damp coming in through rear walls, a nightmare I did not expect or afford.

I cancelled and the lady was helpful once I explained and informed and I did phone again to clarify when the equipment would be collected and process.

I am in a dilemma now as I intended to wiring in virgin cable sockets to rooms in preparation to purchased a full package once house sorted?

Not a fan of Sky or want BT twisted pair.

I may have to have an basic aerial and Now TV. 

Its a shame it has come to this?

My wife told me just pay the £144 and move on.

I will go CEDR and Martin Lewis helpful team just for peace of mind and look for another TV and broadband provider.

Just to add, The gentleman who I spoke to about the bill was not at all helpful or would not listen to my point at all or would not help when I asked to speak to someone else or a contact number(s), just stated It stops with me?????

Sorry it is long winded again and do you think I should just pay?

Zoe, if  you cannot sort anything would you kindly send the final leaving bill and method of payment (debit card or PayPal) as cancelled my direct debit. thanks. 

I spent hours trying to sort this out with only one person who kept answering the phone every time ?

Luckily, I am using my Virgin Mobile data for emails and basic internet.

I have no issues with Virgin mobile thankfully.

Thanks again.

Kindest regards

Mike

Mike Morgan

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

MikeJM
Dialled in

Hi,

I phoned Virgin media to tell them I was moving and did not require TV anymore as house was being refurbished.

I was informed that I would have to setup a new contract, I agreed.

After a while I agreed on a package that was available to all new customers, no discounts for being with Virgin/NTL for over 35 years.

I agreed and was told I could cancel within 14 days.

After 6 days I had to cancel as my new home needed major work and would be no point in having a service until completed about 3 months.

I cancelled over the phone with no problems through retention, very helpful.

They stated nothing to pay as cancelled within 14 days this was on the 22nd of December 2022.

I received a bill yesterday for £144.58 - owed from last bill £18.42, package changes £41.16, package £65.00 and other charges £20.00.

My last contract was £104.00 and paid on the 21 December 2022 and paid up?

I did not change packages as I was told had to except new package without discounts, no package change?

Package this was the cost of the package I agreed to and cancelled within 14 days.

Other changes which I have no idea, maybe extra profits?

I have phoned Virginmedia and was informed that there is no 14 days, I have to give notice of a month and pay for it??

I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager, I was told that the agent dealt with all concerns and there was no one else I could speak too???

I even asked to be transferred or speak to the legal department or have contact details and was told only support is the online help????

Could anyone point me in the right direction of a number for Virgins legal department?

I contacted CISAS customer dispute ombudsman which Virgin is registered on and they stated to try to resolve it with Virgin first and them come back.

I believe I have?

Also, the BBC programme with martin Lewis can assist but would need to pay so they can investigate and put in on their show, which could take weeks.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MikeJM wrote:

Hi,

<snip>

Suggest you keep you query to your own original topic below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Concerns-billed-for-cancelling-in-1...

rather than multi-posting the same issue.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your post is quite hard to follow but this post from earlier in the week may help you

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Mis-sold-Contract-Over-Phone-Help/m...

in regard to the 14 days of cooling off after a package change. Unfortunately the original topic has been split and posts removed which did contain other comments so the topic overall no longer makes sense.

If you are asking/expecting to use the 14 day cooling off period to cancel entirely, then the above suggests that is not possible and your situation is complicated further by moving house, which has its own procedures.

You will need the forum team to advise you on this. They will reply in a day or two.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi MikeJm, 

Thank you for your post 🙂 

I am so sorry for your experience with us and that this has happened.

I can look into this for you to get to the bottom of it and will pop you over a PM.

Zoie

Hi Zoie,

Thank you for reading my post and sorry is is long winded and repeated (copied and pasted) apologies.

When I initially contacted Virgin media about cancelling my contact from my old house, I was put through to retention.

I explained I was working on the house and did not require TV and basic internet just for emails and buying materials etc.

We finally agreed on a package for the time being until my house was ready £65 monthly contract.

He stated I could not transfer due to changes so had to start a new contract (over 35 years with NTL and Virgin) lost privileges. 

The gentleman told me that's all I would pay was £65 no mention of extra charges and no information on the contract sent.

I had to temporary move into my mothering law due to dry root found in my floors and damp coming in through rear walls, a nightmare I did not expect or afford.

I cancelled and the lady was helpful once I explained and informed and I did phone again to clarify when the equipment would be collected and process.

I am in a dilemma now as I intended to wiring in virgin cable sockets to rooms in preparation to purchased a full package once house sorted?

Not a fan of Sky or want BT twisted pair.

I may have to have an basic aerial and Now TV. 

Its a shame it has come to this?

My wife told me just pay the £144 and move on.

I will go CEDR and Martin Lewis helpful team just for peace of mind and look for another TV and broadband provider.

Just to add, The gentleman who I spoke to about the bill was not at all helpful or would not listen to my point at all or would not help when I asked to speak to someone else or a contact number(s), just stated It stops with me?????

Sorry it is long winded again and do you think I should just pay?

Zoe, if  you cannot sort anything would you kindly send the final leaving bill and method of payment (debit card or PayPal) as cancelled my direct debit. thanks. 

I spent hours trying to sort this out with only one person who kept answering the phone every time ?

Luckily, I am using my Virgin Mobile data for emails and basic internet.

I have no issues with Virgin mobile thankfully.

Thanks again.

Kindest regards

Mike

Mike Morgan

We had the same,  Received a phone call  to say out contract was coming to it's end.  I said we was thinking of leaving,  But was offered a new contract, I said if we have take out the new contract do i have the 14 day cooling of period, And I was told yes I could, so I had been lied to. To get me to take out the new contract,  Any way got a call the next day and i said that we wanted to cancel, and was told I would have to pay a leaving fee, £200 + pounds, So for new have to stay with the new contract that I no longer want. Fillled out a complaint form. And that seemed to of disappeared from my virgin account

Hi @johnhamblin3,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that you're facing some complications following a recent request for an upgrade/package change. If you begin a new contract term then the 14 day cooling off period would be valid and apply from the beginning of that new term.

Do you recall the date that you signed up to it? Can you also confirm when and how you raised the complaint that you're referring to?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

New contract, was started on the 5th of this month  Old contract  was up to the 14th of this month. I made the complaint on my virgin media login page. 

Help and support/ complaints . yesterday After talking to some lady on the phone who said i could not cancel with out paying a fee, as the 14 days cooling off period is only for new costomers, but a reguest in now for a DSAR for the phone calls, 

Thanks for the reply @johnhamblin3.

If the contract started on the 5th October, then you would have until the 19th October to cancel without being to term should you wish to cancel - i.e. your cooling off period.
I am sorry to hear about the mismatch of information being provided to you.

The cooling off period applies for any new contract as it is mentioned in our clauses when we read out the terms and conditions, for new customers and for existing customer customers up for renewal.

Let us know how it goes with the DSAR, although please do bear in mind that it can take up to 30 days for a DSAR request to be completed as per the GDPR process.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs