Menu
Stringy1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Closed account still open

Hi there. 

Our landline number was ported over to our new supplier on 24/07, but the Virgin Media account is still showing as active despite all services having now been disconnected for 2 weeks. 

I was expecting our account to be closed down by the port completion and a final bill within 48 hours of this. Could somebody take a look into this please?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Closed account still open

When a landline number is ported out from Virgin Media, that triggers the 30 days contracted notice period for the phone line.

So if the TV and Broadband have already been disconnected, then the account closes at the end of that 30 day period, not at the port out date.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Stringy1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That is the exact opposite of how we were told this worked.

I phoned at the end of June to provide 30 days notice of leaving. I told them we would be taking our number with us. 
The agent said the line would remain active until the new provider requested it and this would then trigger the account to be closed. This could either be on the 30th day of notice, or the line could remain active after this if there were any issues with porting so the number wasn’t lost. 

No mention was made of the phone line requiring an extra 30 days notice period upon cancelling. I was told all services would close down on the 30th day, or on porting day, whichever happened latest.

So we’re now going to be charged for an extra 30 days of service we haven’t asked for, needed or used on a phone line that has no dial tone, despite already giving notice 30 days previously?!
This sounds like a very dishonest business practice.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Each service can be disconnected independently of one another and all disconnections are subject to 30 days notice.

It should have been made clear to you that it works in that way.

Landline number transfers can't happen on a line that has a disconnection booked on it (that's true of all landline providers), so it needs to remain active till the port is complete - so will always have it's own separate 30 day notice applied.

0 Kudos
Stringy1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I was not informed that porting the number would lead to a second 30 day notice period - I was told that disconnection on all services was booked and the line would remain active until the porting date, and the final bill would be issued within 48 hours of successful port. 

So what you’re now telling me is the operator cancelling the contract who said the above deliberately omitted the fact the phone line would be subject to an additional 30 days notice on top of the 30 days I gave you in this call, and lied about the disconnection details and the final bill? 

This is a despicable business practice. I am not paying for a service you are not providing on a line you have disconnected on the date I requested when I gave you the contractually required minimum 30 days notice in June.

Regardless of whether all providers operate this way or not, if your operators are not drawing attention to this fact on the cancellation phone call, you are deliberately deceiving your customers. I want this escalated please. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Stringy1 wrote:

Regardless of whether all providers operate this way or not, if your operators are not drawing attention to this fact on the cancellation phone call, you are deliberately deceiving your customers. I want this escalated please. 

Although the forum team do respond to posts, that can take time as this forum isn't a immediate support channel - the forum team aim to pick up those posts that haven't been answered by other members of the Community.

To escalate an issue you're best to follow the guidance here about how to make a complaint:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-complaint

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stringy1,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear of the confusion around when your account is cancelling.

I'd like to take a look at your account so I can see what's happening with this. I'll pop you a private message.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos