cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheque refund cashed

andyshep36
Just joined

Dear Virgin Media Team,

Prior to leaving my previous address I closed my Virgin Media account and attempted to pay off the remaining balance. This charge was taken twice by mistake and appeared in my account as credit.

Despite changing my address by phone the credit cheque was issued to my old address on 30th March 2020, and then cashed by someone else on October 3rd 2020.

I have requested a new cheque be sent out multiple times but as it is marked as cashed I am now out of pocket £75.75 without any recourse. As the issuer Virgin Media could help by telling me who cashed it, however there's nothing I can seemingly do on my end. All I have is the cheque ID after phoning Virgin.

This entire problem could have been avoided had there not been initial IT problems in the payment system and then in updating my address, I feel very poorly treated, as the entire chain of events has been out of my control. Cheques are also a poor way to refund credit, my balance was readily taken (twice) by bank transfer on the Virgin website.

Regards,

Andrew

1 REPLY 1

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi andyshep36,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We're very sorry to hear of the recent experience you have had regarding your cheque refund, and this being cashed by another person. 

As fraud has been committed on this occasion by another person, we would need you to get this issue reported to your local police station.

As you have already reported this to the bank, they will be able to trace where the cheque was cashed. We appreciate that the cheque was sent to your old address, this will need to be motioned to the police as the person at your previous address may have cashed the cheque.

Kind regards Jodi.