cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for not returning equipment. More awful service from the virgin media AI

Sgrovewhite
Tuning in

So fed up with virgin media. After months of WhatsApp conversations with their AI chatbots trying to stop paying for TV we don’t use we decided we’d had enough and decided to leave. We’ve now been charged for not returning the box. Despite arranging three different collection dates. 

I’ve given them three different collection dates and they’ve never turned up. Each time I get a mildly threatening text saying they are going to charge us if we don’t agree a date. So we follow the link and suggest a date. The packed box has been sitting in our hall for months waiting for collection.

We’ve now just received a text from virgin saying we’ve been charged. This is borderline criminal and feels entirely consistent with the way virgin treats loyal customers. Would advise anyone thinking of leaving to get out while you can.

We’ve been customers for five years. It’s petty enough that you ask us to send the equipment back after that long but to then squeeze one last drop just shows how greedy and cost cutting you’ve become.

The AI driven customer service is so bad I’m fully expecting to spend half a day of my time getting this penalty removed 🤬🤬🤬

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately the customer cannot win at the equipment returns game as VM holds all the cards. VM can be as useless as they wish at collection and still hold the option of charging the customer for non-equipment return (due to VM's own failure to collect!)

On this page

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/return-or-recycle-equipment

there is a link for you to print your own returns label. No guarantees that route will be any better than your experience to date though. Make sure you keep a good record of any courier tracking number/receipt as that will be your proof that you have sent the equipment.

Once you have returned the equipment you should be able to get the charge refunded (though not necessarily via an easy 'customer journey'!)

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

In your shoes I'd raise a written (postal) complaint, demanding the company refund the charge, that VM collect the equipment on a day of your choosing giving them two working weeks notice - failing which you will dispose of the equipment, and that VM pay compensation of say £60 for the repeated failure to collect the equipment and wrongfully charging you for failure to return.

If that gets the required result, job done.  If it gets fobbed off, then you'll get some badly worded "resolution" letter, reply to that rejecting it and asking for a deadlock letter.  With the deadlock letter you ask CISAS to resolve the matter, and to additionally pay compensation for the poor complaint handling.

If staff here can get it resolved that will be quicker for you than the formal route, just make sure there's a generous goodwill payment included as well as the refund.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Sgrovewhite

Sorry to hear you have decided to leave us and for the issues regarding the return of the equipment. We can understand the concern and appreciate you taking the time raise this via the forums and welcome to the community.

From looking into the account we can see you have spoken to the team earlier today and this looks to have been addressed with the appropriate team contacted. We're sorry the appointments weren't kept for the pick up, were they dates offered by ourselves or you telling us when you would be available? As goslow has advised you can order return packaging here 

Rob

Rebooked the appointment (for the day already agreed) and had it confirmed on the phone that they’d immediately refund the money taken. Was called and emailed by the collection team to confirm pick up. I then get an automated text saying once we’ve collected the kit we’ll recharge the money - money they had no right to take in the first place! 

Then surprise surprise the collection team don’t turn up meaning you still have my £40.

I’m absolutely shocked at how badly you treat people and can’t believe what you’ve done is actually legal. How do you intend to compensate us for the time, stress and offence this is causing???

@Sgrovewhite wrote:

Rebooked the appointment (for the day already agreed) and had it confirmed on the phone that they’d immediately refund the money taken. Was called and emailed by the collection team to confirm pick up. I then get an automated text saying once we’ve collected the kit we’ll recharge the money - money they had no right to take in the first place! 

Then surprise surprise the collection team don’t turn up meaning you still have my £40.

I’m absolutely shocked at how badly you treat people and can’t believe what you’ve done is actually legal. How do you intend to compensate us for the time, stress and offence this is causing???

If they have given an audit trail of collection times and sent emails or texts then fail to turn up, they don't have any standing.

I would go to the web link given to order a returns pack. Pack it all up, take a photo showing the stuff, the address label and how the box is secured. Then once you drop it off at the (Yodel) collection point (normally a convenience store local) it's their responsibility as you have a receipt for proof. It ends the game and you can then proceed to refund any charges after waiting a few days, else the small claims court which will cost them more. It's unlikely to get to the latter though.

Hi @Sgrovewhite

I am sorry to hear this wasn't collected.

You can order packaging here to return the equipment if preferred.

Please pop back to us here if you have any further questions or concerns regarding this.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I’m sorry Vikki but that’s not good enough. I’ve already got the packaging, it’s been sitting in my hall for months and you’ve taken my money without my permission and without justification.

Don’t put this back on me. what are you going to do about it?!

Sorry for the experience you've had Sgrovewhite,

I've contacted the team to see if we can re-arrange the pick up of the equipment.

Alex_Rm

A week is passed since this message and nobody has contacted me and you’ve still got my money. Absolute disgrace!