cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for 2 TV boxes since 2016

LeeA2407
Tuning in

Changed my package recently and on the call the guy said "do you still need 2 boxes?". I told him I've only ever had 1 TV so why would I want 2 boxes and asked if i had been overcharged. It was kinda glossed over with it probably hasn't affected your bills type of statement. I've since checked my bills and I've been paying for 2 boxes since 2016,  although the actual bills just say what is included in my package without itemising each aspect of what is included. Does anybody know if there is a way to check if I've been overcharged please? Ideally without having to spend hours on the "CS Helpline" 😁 or has anybody experienced a similar issue? Both boxes were allegedly active btw

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your bills and contract will state "additional TV box" or something similar, the exact wording may differ depending whether your're currently a TV360 or TiVo/V6 customer

If you have no use for the multiroom facility, you can certainly have the second box removed. On some packages one additional box is inclusive and there potentially may be no saving - but it doesn't sound this is the case here.

So far as overcharging is concerned, you can certainly have the unwanted product removed from now on - but don't think you'll get anywhere with retrospective refunds unless you can show that VM were at fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your bills and contract will state "additional TV box" or something similar, the exact wording may differ depending whether your're currently a TV360 or TiVo/V6 customer

If you have no use for the multiroom facility, you can certainly have the second box removed. On some packages one additional box is inclusive and there potentially may be no saving - but it doesn't sound this is the case here.

So far as overcharging is concerned, you can certainly have the unwanted product removed from now on - but don't think you'll get anywhere with retrospective refunds unless you can show that VM were at fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi LeeA2407, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

We're sorry to hear you believe you've been overcharged. Some packages do have an additional box as part of it. Some customers will take this offer as it can lead to better discounts and being better value for money although some customers also opt not to have the additional box installed. As it's free, it doesn't change the cost of your bundle. 

If you haven't had the additional box installed and would like it installed then the team can get this organised for you. If you would rather a package where no additional box is included, then they can also organise this too. As we've unable to do package changes via the forum, you would need to speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 for them to do this. 

Please keep us posted on how things go. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the responses 😁 I have already asked for the unneeded box to be deactivated  when I changed my package - unfortunately, the wrong box was deactivated and I now have no TV service until an engineer comes on 6 January to reactivate it 😞.

With regard to being overcharged for a box that became redundant in 2016, if I had signed for a package that was to include 2 TV boxes, I would have thought that I would have received 2 TV boxes - after all, the TV box was an upgrade at that time. I can't really see the point of upgrading to multi-room when one of the boxes is old kit because, surely, this is not an upgrade? Also, as I only have 1 actual TV, it would seem a strange thing for me to request.

If I have not been charged for an old TV box -  that was probably part of the original kit activated when I first switched to Virgin circa 10 years ago - why does it appear on my bill? It doesn't make any sense.

What does make sense is that somebody forgot to deactivate it (and we know that mistakes when activating and deactivating boxes can, and have, occured). I would not know this because I had just upgraded my package and would have been fully expecting my DD to change. From what I can tell, an additional box costs £10 per month, though this may be "free" for the duration of an "offer" period. If I have not been charged for the additional box (and remember that this additional box is old technology and no longer utilised in new or replacement installations), why is it on my bill?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@LeeA2407 wrote:

Thanks for the responses 😁 I have already asked for the unneeded box to be deactivated  when I changed my package - unfortunately, the wrong box was deactivated and I now have no TV service until an engineer comes on 6 January to reactivate it 😞.

Do you not have the deactivated box with you, to be precise the serial number? That should be all that's necessary to resolve this.

Can you post up an anonymised picture of your bill, with personal details removed? The specific wording and itemisation of your bundle elements can vary.

@LeeA2407 wrote:

one of the boxes is old kit because, surely, this is not an upgrade? Also, as I only have 1 actual TV, it would seem a strange thing for me to request.

If I have not been charged for an old TV box -  that was probably part of the original kit activated when I first switched to Virgin circa 10 years ago - why does it appear on my bill? It doesn't make any sense.

Not sure what you mean by this. Plenty of people on here have a mixture of V6 & TiVo boxes which are both supported, but the TiVo is old kit by anyone's standards. Plenty of people then get sold an "upgrade" of both boxes to TV360 which is certainly debatable.

Hi LeeA2407, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I'm sorry to hear the incorrect box was deactivated. The team will be able to sort this remotely for you as they will just need to swap the codes over. You will need to call the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 for them to do this. 

In terms of the additional box, it would all depend on the upgrade you took in terms of if a new box was needed. The extra box may not have been requested but it may have worked out cheaper at the time to have a second box than to not have it. Again, this depends on the promotions that were on offer at the time. 

Even though your Direct Debit may have changed, it would still be your responsibility to check your bill each month to ensure things are correct. If not, you would need to get in touch. In your case, there was no fee for the additional box so you've not been overcharged. 

Hope that helps put your mind at ease. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Your package (15th December-14th January)

£138.60

Bigger bundle + Sports£138.60

This includes

•  TiVo Monthly Fee

•  Talk More Anytime

•  Sky Sports Collection

•  Virgin TV V6 Box, Powered By TiVo

•  Maxit TV

•  M250 Fibre Broadband

•  1 Additional TV Box

•  Telephone Line Rental

•  Kids Pick

Package changes

£0.00

Your usage charges

£4.49

And regarding the question "do I have the serial number for the deactivated box", the answer is yes. I read it out to the guy on the support team when i was changing my package and he deactivated it - instead of deactivating the non-existent box. When I contacted the support team the next day (using the chat option), I was told that an engineer would be needed and a visit was arranged for 6 January. Are you saying this is not necessary and I should call again to reactivate my TV box please?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @LeeA2407 

I would try calling the equipment activation number 0800 953 9500 (option 3)

You will need the serial numbers/MAC addresses off the barcode stickers and also your account number - and see if they can  reactivate the box.

It might not be possible as it may be that VM have removed the box from the systems hence the tech visit, however if they can activate the box again then yuo can cancel the tech visit.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the fault has been caused by external action, I don't see any reason it can't be rectified by external action.

I very much doubt any tech is going to do the reactivation themselves - they're going to call another department/person to do it for them.

I can totally believe that some CS agents (read, offshore and/or inexperienced) may not know how to reverse a deactivation and therefore go for the easy option of a tech visit. The answer to that, is to callback and get a different agent.

Hi @LeeA2407 thanks for your reply.

We can activate TV boxes remotely, it's not always necessary to send out an engineer for this reason - the only way this would be needed is if the manual activation didn't work and we'd need to replace the box itself.

I'd like to have a go at this for you. Please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into this further for you, kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W