Menu
brt1919
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Changing Account Name

I've had a look at previous questions on this subject without finding quite the same questions that I have.

My ex & I split a few years ago.  As I was paying for the Virgin account & all the shows saved on the box were mine, along with me having an ntl email address, I took the box with me to my new place & she got a new account at her new place.  However, the account at my place is still solely in her name - it's never been a problem as she gave me the password if I need to ring Virgin.

At this point in time I would like to get it put into my name rather than keep having mail addressed to her.  I've decided to stump up the £20 for this, but what I don't want/can't have is the account being disconnected & email addresses deleted which is what the virgin notes suggest will happen.  Does this also mean shows saved on the Box would also be cleared?

Thank you

0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing Account Name

You'd need the permission of the original account holder, but if transfering responsibility then you can also transfer the email address previously associated with the old account to the new account after you've transferred the name and registered the new account online. You'd have 90 days after the transfer to do this before the old account will be closed down entirely and the old email is deleted with it.

Note that I've been having issues registering a new My Virgin Media online account after taking responsibility and transfering accounts. THis may result in me losng my old email address if Virgin fail to fix the issue before the 90 days elapse. You may want to hold off transfering until Virgin Media fix the issue that is causing some customers to not be able to register a new My Virgin Media account?

Related topics:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Unable-to-register-new-account-afte...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Transfer-of-Pre-existing-Email-to-New-Account/td-p/404489...

Highlighted
brt1919
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thank you for that, will hold off a little longer then! Can you also confirm that shows saved on the TiVo box are unaffected by the change? I just wanted to check seeing that the email addresses were. Thank you
0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The box will be uneffected and the shows stored, the current favourites and any planned recordings and series link will remain intact. You may lose your broadband for a day or 2 though. THe TV service was restored within minutes of the transfer being executed though.

0 Kudos
brt1919
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick responses - much appreciated. Now to fill out the form!
0 Kudos
brt1919
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so this isn't going too well so far...

I sent the form off a few days ago, clarifying that the only change needed was the name as the direct debit is already paid by me & all other information can stay as it is.

Last night it looks like the service was partly switched off as some programmes didn't record, & I had an email during the night starting with 'thank you for choosing to view your bills online' & its basically just about ebilling.

I've also discovered that I'm unable to connect to my broadband as well as my tv package no longer being present (ie just the basic channels).  Trying to connect to broadband comes up with a clock style message as it tries to see what the issue is, before being unable to determine the problem.

If I try logging into my existing account, I get a message 'You're not with Virgin Media anymore.  If there's any information you want to grab from your account, you have 90 days from your disconnection date to do so. Please make sure you retrieve all your important emails and files before this time.'

If I then try to register a new account, it takes me through the child safe/virus part, before giving the error 'We are not able to set up your my Virgin Media account at the moment. Please try again later, or you can also set up your my Virgin Media account at the time of your broadband installation. We are looking forward to connecting you to your superfast broadband.'

So I'm really struggling to know where to go next with this one.  The notes on the virginmedia site (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-change-name) don't give any clues as to what I need to do to resolve this.

Thanks for any assistance!

0 Kudos
brt1919
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

A quick update - I've just had an email from Virgin Media Account Transfers team to say that the account has been transferred - guessing this should have been sent before I was disconnected from my package.  I can see that my account number has changed very slightly, but when I try to register a new account, I still get the message above starting 'we are not able to set up your my virgin media account.....'

I've emailed the transfer team back to see if someone can tell me what I have to do next

0 Kudos
brt1919
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Another update.....

The transfer team replied to my email saying I needed to contact Customer Services.  So called them last night & initially they tried telling me it would take 28 days, but I was persistent & told them that as I had an email from them saying it was live, I should not be without any of the services for a month.  They tried to say that it was the hardware, but I told them it couldn't be as I'd rebooted everything before the call & their automated check prior t them speaking to me confirmed everything was fine & that I could see the wifi but not connect & also could see my saved shows on the TiVo.  Anyway, over the course of an hour they did something at their end & bingo, the wifi connection started working again & my tv package was available.

So, the only issue that I now have is that I can't register for an account.  My old one shows as being closed, but on the new registration, I get most of the way through the process, even getting the email saying thank you for selecting web safe settings, but it fails on the next screen with "'We are not able to set up your my Virgin Media account at the moment. Please try again later, or you can also set up your my Virgin Media account at the time of your broadband installation. We are looking forward to connecting you to your superfast broadband."  So there is clearly some sort of bug with this at the moment.  The nock on effect of course is that I can't use the the tv apps anymore either.

Thanks

0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@brt1919 wrote:

Another update.....

The transfer team replied to my email saying I needed to contact Customer Services.  So called them last night & initially they tried telling me it would take 28 days, but I was persistent & told them that as I had an email from them saying it was live, I should not be without any of the services for a month.  They tried to say that it was the hardware, but I told them it couldn't be as I'd rebooted everything before the call & their automated check prior t them speaking to me confirmed everything was fine & that I could see the wifi but not connect & also could see my saved shows on the TiVo.  Anyway, over the course of an hour they did something at their end & bingo, the wifi connection started working again & my tv package was available.

So, the only issue that I now have is that I can't register for an account.  My old one shows as being closed, but on the new registration, I get most of the way through the process, even getting the email saying thank you for selecting web safe settings, but it fails on the next screen with "'We are not able to set up your my Virgin Media account at the moment. Please try again later, or you can also set up your my Virgin Media account at the time of your broadband installation. We are looking forward to connecting you to your superfast broadband."  So there is clearly some sort of bug with this at the moment.  The nock on effect of course is that I can't use the the tv apps anymore either.

Thanks

Sounds a lot like the situation I found myself in after I transferred responsibility.

No, you'd not have to wait 28 days before having access to your TV services after a tranfer. Like you I too got no prior notification of when the transfer would occur and it was simply carried out without warning. You may need to wait a day or so to have your broadband restored after a transfer. It is ordinarilly possible to register your new My Virgin Media account after the broadband provision has been transferred and restored, but Virgin Media have a persistent bug with their IT systems that has and does appear to be still prevent many customers from being able to register a new account. This is the issue I had with Virgin Media after my transfer and it took them 6 weeks to resolve it after my continually having to report it, have several tickets raised and having to post an official complaint with Virgin Media. You can follow what occured here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Unable-to-register-new-account-afte...

Trying to get a customer service operative to actually recognise the issue you are having is your first obstacle and your second would be to then get them to acknowledge it as being a fault and have them raise a ticket for it. They'll more than likely not make any note of the issue on your records and will suggest you  try again in another 48 hours. It will more than likely take you 2 weeks of persistent calls to even get them to raise a ticket. The ticket is important because only the IT department can resolve this issue and the only way to inform that department of there being a problem of this type is if a ticket is raised. There's nothing the operatives you are conversing with can do to resolve this.  The issue should theoretically be addressed by IT within 7 days, but Id not hold your braeth and as I said already, it took them 6 weeks in my case.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi brt1919,

Sorry to hear of the account issues.

It sounds like an IT ticket is needed to be sorted regarding the online account.

I'll go ahead now and send you a quick PM.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos