cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in contract

Nedeem
On our wavelength

My package is only broadband with £34.25/month. I cannot afford the £51 /month Virginmedia wants me to pay from 22 April. That’s too much for a broadband only service. Shall I switch provider?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You can try to renegotiate with VM and renew at a lower price. Phoning in at 08:00 on the dot when the lines first open will give you the best chance of connecting to a UK agent with least delay. Take the 'thinking of leaving us' menu options.

Before doing so though, check out the comparable prices from other providers in your area so you can benchmark whatever offer VM comes up with.

Success (or not) is really a lottery depending on who you get to talk to, what authority they have to make offers and how well VM is doing against its sales targets at the time you phone. Any 'deals' they offer tend to be one-offs and may not be available if you want to think about it and call back so do your research to know alternative prices before calling to decide if any offer is worth it.

If you move to another supplier you will get new customer pricing and, so as long as speed is not a particular concern for you, you will very likely get a better price elsewhere for BB only, certainly better than £51 p.m. so do some research first to find out what else might be available to you, then (try and) talk to VM to get a better deal.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

Nedeem
On our wavelength

And I have not even been able to reach them on the phone.  Very frustrating.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You can try to renegotiate with VM and renew at a lower price. Phoning in at 08:00 on the dot when the lines first open will give you the best chance of connecting to a UK agent with least delay. Take the 'thinking of leaving us' menu options.

Before doing so though, check out the comparable prices from other providers in your area so you can benchmark whatever offer VM comes up with.

Success (or not) is really a lottery depending on who you get to talk to, what authority they have to make offers and how well VM is doing against its sales targets at the time you phone. Any 'deals' they offer tend to be one-offs and may not be available if you want to think about it and call back so do your research to know alternative prices before calling to decide if any offer is worth it.

If you move to another supplier you will get new customer pricing and, so as long as speed is not a particular concern for you, you will very likely get a better price elsewhere for BB only, certainly better than £51 p.m. so do some research first to find out what else might be available to you, then (try and) talk to VM to get a better deal.

Nedeem
On our wavelength
Thank you so much, goslow. That’s a good help and very kind of you.

Nedeem
On our wavelength

Today 28 March: I phoned them around 15:50. I had topped up my phone with £5. I listened to the music for 10 minutes. When someone answered me, my credit finished.
Did they bother to call me back? No.

This is definitely a reason to leave Virgin Media.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also a reason to review your mobile contract. £5 for 10 minutes. In this day and age, that’s exorbitant.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nedeem
On our wavelength

Thanks! I see your point, but I am on pay as you go with Lebara, not Virgin Media. I use the phone only a couple of time a month. I don’t need a contract.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you look in some recent past topics on here about renewals there are some 0800 numbers mentioned for contacting VM.

Nedeem
On our wavelength

Thank you for your suggestion. My focus now is on exploring the options of leaving. I am not going to phone them again; the new provider will.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

AFAIK (at present), don't think any new provider can cancel your VM services other than the landline aspect when porting a phone number. You still have to cancel any other services with VM.

Did read recently this was changing. Not sure it has changed just yet though. Someone else may be able to clarify/confirm/correct the details about this.