cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Direct Debit Payment Date

Evey
Just joined

Need help, I would like to change the payment date from the 'due by 16th' to then end of the month.

Thanks Evey

10 REPLIES 10

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Evey,

The info below is from https://my.virginmedia.com/my-bills-static/direct-debit/change-direct-debit-date.html 

How to change Direct Debit payment date

To change your Direct Debit date, text us for free on 0753 305 1809 ** between 7am and 11pm Monday to Friday, 8am and 8pm Saturday to Sunday.

Changing your Direct Debit date will also change the start date of your monthly package. This means the first bill you receive after moving your Direct Debit date may be higher than usual as we'll need to align you to your new billing cycles. Your subsequent bills will return to their normal amount after this.

Just so you know, we can only change your Direct Debit date on your existing bank details and your balance must be cleared before you can change your date. Also, you can only change your Direct Debit date twice in a 12 month period.

Unfortunately, if we've already finalised your bill for this month, you'll have to wait until we've taken this payment before you can change your date.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Evey,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I can see that @newapollo has offered you some advice and information regarding the changing of your Direct Debit payment date to take into account. There's also some additional information available here.

If after reading that you'd still like our help, please respond to the private message I'll be sending to you shortly and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

jpb1975
On our wavelength

Virginmedia, unlike most other organisations DON'T in fact let you change your direct debit date to suit your finances.

They only offer random dates from some sort of "list" that "the system says".  Nobody I spoke to could explain why I, as a customer, can't set a date convenient to me. This despite us being in times where managing our finances carefully is supposed to be supported by the huge corporates that take our money from us on a monthly basis.

I repeatedly asked to have my direct debit set to 23rd of the month. It is currently 19th.  I even (on advice from a call centre somewhere) cancelled my old direct debit, paid the bill manually on my preferred date then set up a new direct debit. As instructed, I phoned to change the date of that one and was told "you can't have that date, it's not coming up on the list".

Seems Virginmedia, as ever, have no regard at all for their customers and couldn't care less about taking money at an inconvenient time.

To argue that "the system is only showing me two dates" is rediculous and the "system" clearly archaic.  Customers should be allowed to set their direct debits to suit their monthly finances and not have to fit in to some ludicrous archaic IT mess at Virginmedia.

Very poor and yet again, thinking of leaving all services for other providers who are able to accommodate their customers' needs.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For the cable accounts system there are a set number of bill 'cycles' per month per billing region. This is to ensure that the bill dates are spread out as evenly as possible. A payment / Direct Debit date is then linked to each bill cycle.

The bill cycle you get it usually the next available one after your account is activated. When you ask to change your Direct Debit date, a check is done as to which bill cycle in your billing region your account can be moved to, and so that then gives the associated Direct Debit date options.

If a bill cycle is 'full' i.e. is within the limit that Virgin Media want for the number of accounts on that cycle, then you wouldn't be able to choose it as an option. It's not surprising that those cycles with Direct Debits closest to the end or beginning of the month have the most accounts on them.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

jpb1975
On our wavelength

Thank you for confirming that this is entirely for Virgin Media's convenience and laziness in improving a broken system that in no way helps its customers. 

So, as previously stated, clear that the company does not care a bit about helping its customers rather sticking to its archaic "slots" that, god forbid, don't get too busy!

Utterly ridiculous. 

Amusing that you admit as much.

jpb1975
On our wavelength

Virginmedia do NOT let you change direct debit date to a date that suits you, the customer, to help you manage your bills and finances.

They only allow dates from a list of their choosing, at their convenience, that you can choose.

A month has anywhere between 27 and 31 days in it. Most organisations allow you to choose one of these to set your direct debit on but not Virginmedia. Oh no.

If your date doesn't suit them, you can't have it.

Archaic system, completely at odds with good, flexible service. 

You can read their admission of this in this thread here 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Change-Direct-Debit-Payment-Date/m-...

They are completely inflexible and will not indulge in helping their customers.

We do all we can to assist customers jpb1975, we will try to get the date requested or the next available date after this. This has been the same for a number of years, we're sorry you feel this isn't acceptable.

Rob

jpb1975
On our wavelength

I.E. you don't actually help the customer by changing it to a date that works with their finances.

It may have been "like that for a number of years" but that is no excuse for a broken and outdated system that in no way helps customers.

Utter nonsense from Virginmedia as ever and no attempt to even look at updating a process to help customers.

I realise Virginmedia pay you and others here to make excuses for them but defending the indefensible and trying to excuse the unjustifiable just make the customer service look even poorer.

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with this @jpb1975 If you wish to raise your concerns with us, please see our complaints code of practice  https://virg.in/comcop 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs