Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cannot upgrade or upgrade internet package online

I am a semi pro gamer with a good system but really need to upgrade my speed. When I go to my account, I am unable to upgrade online, nor see the offers that are available.

(I was unable to select an appropriate board to post this...so this seemed the least idiotic)

I've tried waiting on the chat app to connect to someone and I've tried calling but I have an extremely broad Scottish accent and your colleagues in Asia really struggle to understand me: either that or they really don't care or don't know what to do off script. No offence intended but it's extremely frustrating.

I'm disabled and am shielding during the pandemic. I've been indoors for almost 90 days now alone. I need to be able to sort this out.

On another note, I've tried to set up my direct debit for months and keep missing the payment, because it never sets up correctly and no matter what I do with Virgin Media email, it always goes to junk.

Please help me before I go to the dark side.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot upgrade or upgrade internet package online

Before you spend the money, check why you need faster speed for gaming.  The maximum downstream bandwidth you'd use when gaming is 5 Mbps, and the same upstream if your're "Twitching".  VM's slowest package offers speeds twenty times that for download, and double for upload.  You might benefit from faster download of new games or updates, but if you're always trying to get the latest games as soon as they're released you'll probably find that the download speed is constrained by the game servers, not your VM connection.

Far more important for professional gaming is low latency, and that's an area where cable always lags behind an Openreach VDSL connection.  For most people they're not good enough gamers to benefit from the modest difference (for example, I'd not see the benefit), but it's always there, and if local capacity gets tight, then cable latency goes through the roof. 

My elderly mother has a "cleaner" and lower latency Openreach connection at 30 Mbps that would be far better for gaming than my 200 Mbps VM connection - and I can see that as I monitor the latency and packet loss of both connections.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate the time taken to reply, thank you. I neglected to mention I am also a website designer and need decent up/down as well as having issues with certain gaming suites (epic, fornexample) only allowing downloads of a tenth (might be slightly wrong) of my download speed which means downloads of 300MB taking hours to download and update.

Either way, I would like to upgrade and I cannot. I've heard Openreach have a more stable latency in general but have been a VM customer since the days of Telewest Blueyonder then ntl etc. Im a very loyal customer but this is getting beyond a joke.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Neilly_,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. Thanks also for your interest in upgrading our broadband products, unfortunately sales and upgrades aren't possible to do within the forums, as much as we'd love to. this does require speaking with the sales or upgrades team which is by phone or webchat

You can reach them by SMS 07533051809 

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos