cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling contract in writing

RaymondOS
On our wavelength

Hi All,

I realise there are a few posts on this subject already but...it could do with clarification.

Like others, I am fed up with price increases so I want to cancel my contract.

Other Virgin customers seem to be having a nightmare by doing this via the 150 number so it looks like cancelling in writing is the best option.

What do I say in the letter? Do I just quote my account number, home address and set a date 30 days from now?

The address I found in another thread is:

Virgin Media
PO Box 333
Matrix Court
Swansea
SA7 9ZJ

Is this still correct/

I have the basic TV, broadband and weekend phone calls package.

Thanks.

7 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Kippies
Alessandro Volta

Yes and Yes.

If you want to be really efficient, do two copies, mail one to yourself and one to VM registered post, that way you can PROVE they received it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

I've just a long and heated debate with a chap that spoke really poor English on the 150 number.  Despite having every detail to hand he insisted that he wouldn't let me cancel and leave because I didn't know the account password??

I would love to know how they can justify making it so difficult.  When you're signing up the process is a LOT smoother.

They don't.

The letter is official communication and a request to VM.

They will honour this for you. 

Keep us posted and good luck.

Kaz

Ex VM employee. Just here to help 🙂

@MrHalfAsleep 😁

I work not far from the post room. I visit them regularly. I promise there's nowhere for things to fall behind and get lost👌

All letters are batched in date order and processed properly. 

They're a good bunch of people 😊

Have a fab day!

Kaz

Ex VM employee. Just here to help 🙂

Stick with it. I went through so many hoops it was unbelievable.

Not having any hearing and dismal difficult to understand, speech, I don't use a phone. My password on my online account never worked, had to change it each time I logged in.

My daughter tried to cancel via phone but they would not let her. Insisted upon either speaking to me..REALLY after being told I couldn't manage, and then insisted upon password that once again wasn't accepted..whoever was on the telephone,,Steve? put the phone down on her after saying 'no password, no cancellation'.

I emailed the CEO, who got it cancelled..sent me a letter to prove it.

Then it all started again. Told I didn't need to return the equipment as it was both not working properly and obsolete being very old. Then I start getting threatening emails demanding I return the equipment. Emails gathered pace in the harassment stakes and then said they were putting a £80 charge on my account for not returning the equipment that I was told not to return..again I have letter confirming this. 

Still in the situation of receiving harassing, threatening and bullying emails in this respect.

Now going through the process of trying to cancel mobile phone tariff that they thought  it was rather amusing to put up the price without telling me and trying to lock me into a years contract that I haven't agreed to. I use mobile for internet, texting and emails.

Try to get into mobile account. Have a guess - won't accept my password. Tells me to answer a security question that I set up when phoning them..Again, REALLY!! I have never phoned them because I cannot, and therefore have never set up a security question and answer. We then go through the debacle of they will send me an email to reset password..email never comes. Tried over a dozen times.

Again, have emailed and written to CEO. It appears it is the only way someone with a modicum of intelligence gets back to you..though still waiting.

I know this is an old thread, but the topic is still very real.

I have been trying to phone VM to cancel our broadband due to increased prices and cannot get passed the password request from the phone-bot. The webchat option only takes my details and it never responds to me.

The letter has been sent today and I requested proof of delivery from the Royal Mail, so I can prove it arrived. Proof of sending only seems that you posted it, and VM could then dispute they ever got it.

ArcStrike.

Good luck ArcStrike, you will get a better response if you go out into the garden and constantly bang your head on the fence.

Took me weeks and weeks to get mine cancelled. Finally had to email the CEO who just then sends it to customer services and then it starts all over again.

Same debacle with cancelling my mobile phone in April. It is now November and still waiting for a PAC code..go figure that. Just constantly get letters regarding my complaint saying we are dealing with it, and then get a follow up letter stating as you did not reply to our letter of 'dealing with it', we assume you are satisfied. I start all over again, and here we are, November, still no PAC code.

I have a full folder of 'we are dealing with your complaint'.

67 REPLIES 67

Kippies
Alessandro Volta

Yes and Yes.

If you want to be really efficient, do two copies, mail one to yourself and one to VM registered post, that way you can PROVE they received it.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kippies, why send a copy to yourself?

I've just a long and heated debate with a chap that spoke really poor English on the 150 number.  Despite having every detail to hand he insisted that he wouldn't let me cancel and leave because I didn't know the account password??

I would love to know how they can justify making it so difficult.  When you're signing up the process is a LOT smoother.

That's the kind of experience I want to avoid. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DaveSS61, for Virgin Media to have spoken to you they must have gone through an alternative process to verify their speaking with the account holder and that should have been enough; not only to give notice but to change your account password. Wonder what would happen if you called, went through the alternative verification process, changed your account password and then cancelled?

What made matters more complicated was the fact that I pay the direct debit from my own account, but my partner's name is on the Virgin account as she's owned the property and been a Virgin customer for more than a decade. 

The chap wanted to know what package we were on, the precise name.  We now know what it is having signed in online but at the time all I could tell him was which services we receive, and which channels etc. but he was being really pedantic and obviously enjoyed having the power during the call.
The language barrier made matters worse.  Maybe I was expecting too much, I don't know.

@用心棒 wrote:

@Kippies, why send a copy to yourself?

It means in addition to the recorded delivery chit you also have a copy with a dated postmark, no argument over what the letter said.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That would only show you sent another letter on the same date, not that the content of both were the same.

I agree with you: All that would prove is that you receive and ENVELOPE with possibly your handwriting - cannot prove what is in the envelope.

I am in the process of doing the same. I am going to send 1 - recored delivery, and 1 with free proof of posting which will show address and date.

This will be enough to prove letter of cancellation if they act silly b***ers and won't sign for the recorded delivery should they start sending demand letters for money - which I would ignore, and the matter ends up on court.. 

I have just tried to cancel via my account: Cannot. Have just tried to cancel by online chat: Cannot. Strange that you can take out a contract via online chat but cannot cancel one.

I am speak and hearing impaired and don't have a telephone, never mind a text phone. Stupid chat person just kept telling me to cancel by text relay..muppet!