cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling account due to price increase

mackerbootle
Dialled in

Hi there,

I'm currently out of contract and have had a really good discount which ended when my contract ended. It was £36 a month. Been with Virgin Media since the very start. I rang up cancellations and all they could offer was a price increase of £11 to £47 a month which I'm now not happy with. I did initially agree to this and they sent me a new contract, but a few days later changed my mind being within the cool down period and called again today to tell cancellations I'm leaving instead and cancel my account.

The girl on the phone gave me a cancellation date of the 20th of July, but I never received any email confirmation, which I need. Is this usual practice? I need to confirm the date with my new provider, so I can give them the date but don't have any written confirmation.

I don't want to leave Virgin Media, however I just cannot currently afford this price increase during this difficult time.

Thanks,

Mack

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mackerbootle  When a minimum term contract comes to an end you are automatically moved onto a rolling 30 day contact.  So based on that then a termination date of 20 July looks correct if you gave notice today.

You may receive a call from the retentions department in the next few days with an offer to try and keep you as a customer but you can't rely on that happening.

Have you checked your My Virgin Media account to see if the cancellation request is showing as an order?  I'm not entirely sure that this would normally appear.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mackerbootle  When a minimum term contract comes to an end you are automatically moved onto a rolling 30 day contact.  So based on that then a termination date of 20 July looks correct if you gave notice today.

You may receive a call from the retentions department in the next few days with an offer to try and keep you as a customer but you can't rely on that happening.

Have you checked your My Virgin Media account to see if the cancellation request is showing as an order?  I'm not entirely sure that this would normally appear.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hiya Graham,

Thank you for replying. Had a check and could not see any cancellation requests showing up after speaking to them on the phone and getting the 20th of July as the cancellation date. If retentions can't offer a better deal, I just need the cancellation order confirmed, so I can switch providers. I've got a month to get it sorted so I don't lose any service. Thanks again for posting here.

Mack

Hi @mackerbootle,

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear there is confusion in regards to if your cancellation request has gone through. We can understand your concern and we want to best help.

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Please look out for the purple envelope and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you for the update @mackerbootle.

We are glad to hear you have been able to resolve this with our team. 

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

nmcilveen2016
On our wavelength

I rang up to get a better deal at the end of my contract and they wearnt for budging, completely cancelled my old account then signed up as a new customer through MSE for M200 for £23 a month plus a £100 bill credit.

As for the TV I went with sky Q, they gave me it for £18 a month, also with a £100 credit, and sky Q is far better than what TIVO and 360 is. 

Hi @nmcilveen2016,

Welcome back to our community forums and thank you for letting us know.

We are glad to see you are happy with your current deal.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team