cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Broadband and Phone with Virginmedia is Nigh On Impossible Without Severe Stress

Scribeswtr
Tuning in

On 7th January I received an email notification like so many others that my bill would be increased from March 2022.  I have been with VM for many years but due to circumstances, this was the last straw and I decided to cancel and move to an alternative. more cost effective provider.  

When I spoke to the 'I want to leave department' on 10th January I was offered a small monthly discount of £4.00 which I refused.  I gave 30 days notice to cancel my Virginmedia internet, TV and landline bill on 10th January to take effect on 12th February 2022.  Due to the price increase, the notice of increase stated that I could cancel without penalty.  A couple of days later, someone who said he had "more scope to offer me an even better discount" phoned me but I pointed out that I had already made my decision and had taken on an agreement with BT to instal broadband and a landline with effect from 8th February.

I heard nothing further until an email bill arrived on 9th February for the period 10th February to 9th March, payable on 1st March, effectively for the period after my service ended.  I spoke to the VM accounts department to explain the above, they confirmed that my previous bill of 8th January, paid on 1st February 2022, covered the remaining time outstanding on my Virgin contract.  I asked for the bill to be corrected but apparently the accounts department are not able to do this!  Shortly after my call was cut off abruptly.

When I managed to get through to another person at VM, i was informed that the reason I was given by the call centre for Virginmedia not being able to close my account was that action had not been taken to transfer (Port) my landline telephone number to my new service provider.  Since the 8th February, I have been receiving phone calls through my new BT installation and when I phone BT to confirm that the transfer had been completed, they confirmed that all procedures had been carried out prior to the number being moved.

I have spent over three hours speaking to various VM call centre staff, over the last few days to try to resolve the problems described.  While I have now finally received an email informing me that my service will be disconnected, even though it has actually been disconnected from my home when the BT internet and telephone installation became operational five days ago!

It would restore a little of my confidence in VM if this total administrative mess at VM could be sorted out but having read many other comments on this forum, I am fast coming to the conclusion that this company no longer has any interest in its customers and I am pleased to say, I am no longer one of them.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Scribeswtr,

Thank you for your post. I was really sorry to hear about the experience you've had when trying to process your cancellation, I completely agree that it should not have to be such a stressful experience. I am sorry that you've had to speak with us so much in order to get this sorted. 

We don't usually help with disconnections from here and it does seem like it has now been arranged for you, but I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take some more details and look into this for you

Beth

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Scribeswtr,

Thank you for your post. I was really sorry to hear about the experience you've had when trying to process your cancellation, I completely agree that it should not have to be such a stressful experience. I am sorry that you've had to speak with us so much in order to get this sorted. 

We don't usually help with disconnections from here and it does seem like it has now been arranged for you, but I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take some more details and look into this for you

Beth

Hi Beth

Thanks for your help.  As you say, the Forum is not the way that disconnecting arrangements should have to be made.  Certainly, in this case, it was the only way that anyone at Virginmedia seemed to be interested or able to sort out the mess described in my original post.  It indicates to me that there is a serious management problem somewhere in the company.

Once again, thank you for your help.  It does show that there are still some understanding and efficient people working for VM.

Hi @Scribeswtr,

I believe that you're speaking with one of my colleagues about this via private message. If you need further assistance, please respond to them there and they'll respond to help you further ASAP.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

FAO Beth

Hi Beth

In our previous communication last month, you advised that your accounts department would be sending me a cheque within the next 14 days to rectify the confusion which had previously occurred with my account closure.  I have been away from home since we last communicated but on return last weekend, there was no such cheque waiting for me!

I still have a Virginmedia mobile account but due to the problems previously discussed, I am now seriously considering terminating this as well.  Can you please prompt whoever you spoke to previously and point out the situation with a view to getting this sorted out.

Thanks

Alan Port