Menu
supervoltage
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cancellation of account query

I called your customer services team earlier, but only ended up frustrated after the person I was speaking to on the phone was seemingly incapable of producing noises that were intelligible enough for human comprehension. They honestly sounded like they were mumbling the whole time.

My query is in regards to account cancellation. I am moving out of my current property on 12 September, therefore I would like to cancel my account. I cannot transfer the service to the new property.

Therefore, I need answers to the below questions:

- What are the cancellation charges? How does it work?
- Why must your policy be so difficult, asinine, and anti-consumer?
- Why must I pay for a service that I won't be using anymore?
- Why isn't the money funneled into the previous point used to employ customer service personnel that, oh I dunno, can talk clearly?
- How is it helpful to me that if I'm trying to move, you are opposing my wishes and want to grab more money?

It's not surprising that enormous corporations will find any reason to grab money off of people. It is, however, shocking that the money isn't spent wisely on improving the infrastructure (upload speeds are stuck in the past), customer services, and the recruitment of these personnel.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancellation of account query

Hi Supervoltage, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're leaving us due to moving house and being unable to take us with you, we'll be sad to see you go. 

As per our terms and conditions when you take out the services this is based on your current address, if you move within your contract term then early disconnection fee's would apply unless you're unable to have the services at your new address. You can find out more about early disconnection fee's here

The cancellation charges are capped at £240 but would depend on how long you have left on your contract, you would need to speak to our team to find out the actual cost. 

If you do remain unhappy with this then please check out our complaints code of practice here and all of our contact methods here

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
supervoltage
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, Emma. However, I have further queries in response and addition to the ones I posed in my original post.

The early disconnection fee appears to exist solely to recoup potential "lost profits" by customers who terminate very early (say, 1-3 months after taking the contract out). However, I must ask: how much profit did Virgin make off of my contract, considering I am terminating my contract after 11 months of taking it out? Surely the amount of profit Virgin made off of my contract exceeds what was predicted, therefore the profits alone should cover whatever ridiculous charge I may be presented with.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 says terms of consumer contracts that are unfair to the consumer cannot be enforced.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

'The Consumer Rights Act 2015 says terms of consumer contracts that are unfair to the consumer cannot be enforced'

that doesn't apply here. you are a breaking a legally binding contract. a pro rata exit fee is reasonable. it's been argued with the ombudsman in the past and thrown out. there have been occasional looks into it again by regulators, but exit fees still stand for most companies.
0 Kudos
supervoltage
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure it does, since Ofcom have previously fined the company as recently as November 2018 the sum of £7m. However, the £240 maximum cancellation penalty is still in effect.

There are also numerous examples where, despite the contractual arrangement, Virgin Media relinquished imposing the cancellation fees for customers. This raises new questions as to what the conditions were when the company relinquished the early termination fees.

0 Kudos