Menu
Engineer2
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cancellation journey

I want to thank (genuinely) all the VM agents who have tried hard to help me within a complicated organisation (and previous posters on this forum whose efforts have guided me), along my VM cancellation journey. I also have some tips to share from my experience which might perhaps help others, and a question to ask.

Tip #1 – make sure your phone number is safely ported before giving notice of termination.

I did this, as advised on this forum that it can be difficult to port a number after giving notice, and it went very smoothly, the new provider made the requests and VM sent me an automatic email acknowledgement shortly after the transfer happened.

I then called to give notice (30 days as I’m ‘out of contract’) to terminate the broadband service.

Tip #2 – have some activity ready to use the time while waiting on hold, especially for retentions/cancellations. I chose to read Hilary Mantel’s Bring up the Bodies. Highly recommended.

At the end of that call it was clear that the disconnection date would be 21 July (30 days from notice date), and a confirmation email would be sent within 24hrs of the call.

Tip #3 – take notes of calls, as it is possible for confusion to arise between VM departments.

Tip #4 – once I’d been through the initial serving of notice, I selected the billing and payments options on subsequent calls, and the waiting time was much shorter than on the disconnections option.

As no email arrived the next day, I called again and this time the disconnection date was confirmed to be 27 Jun (and the agent helpfully checked with a colleague to be sure) and although it would not be possible to send a confirmation email to me until after the event, an email would be sent within 24hrs of disconnection.  

Tip #5 – important one – do not give notice of termination until after your new provider’s broadband is up and running, as the VM service might be disconnected without warning any time after giving notice. 

I checked on 28 Jun and the service appeared to have been disconnected, happily my new provider was already up and running so I was not left stranded for two or three weeks. 

No email arrived the following day so I called again.

This time the agent confirmed the disconnection would be on 21 Jul, with a confirmation email to be sent within 24-48hrs after that. I explained the confusion with the earlier calls, and she said she could and would send me an acknowledgement email there and then, but unfortunately the call was cut off while she was doing that.

I called straight back and the next agent confirmed the disconnection would be on 21 Jul, and an email would be sent in the next 72hrs to acknowledge that. He also volunteered that I need not pay the bill I received on 21 Jun as it was no longer relevant, and I would just need to pay a final bill (of £12 plus any call costs) on 22 Jul. He said he had cancelled my Direct Debit payment for the 21 Jun bill while we were speaking.

At that stage in the call I pointed out that I believed my service had actually been disconnected on 27 Jun (I had tested and found I could reconnect to the VM router OK but the router could not connect to the internet) and he transferred me to Tech Support to try to fix the issue.

The Tech Support agent confirmed that if I had given notice on 21 Jun then disconnection would be 21 Jul, but on checking the system he said he was sorry but my service had been restricted. Not being sure what ‘restricted’ meant, I asked and learned that it means disconnected.

It’s now 04 Jul and no email has arrived, I’m getting close to the end of Bring up the Bodies, so I decided to use this forum to ask advice on what is the best way of getting (written) clarification from VM about disconnection dates and due subscription payments.

Also, what happens if I get no response, and VM want to bill me to 21 Jul because part of the organisation thinks that is when I will be disconnected?  

0 Kudos
Cmrobertson33
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cancellation journey

Hi

You might want to consider raising a complaint on the VirginMedia website in writing, this may trigger action and response on their side. Though, note that you have to wait for the Resolution Team to call you, as you cannot call them and the agents won't transfer you. (Info, currently in the middle of a 'Resolver' complaint with VirginMedia as fob off with a resolution which didn't happen).

Regards
0 Kudos
Engineer2
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your Advice C.M.

The situation is actually becoming slightly surreal.

I did speak to another two agents on 05 July, the first insisted I would be disconnected on 21 July, which of course is a little frustrating when a previous agent has confirmed that I was - as I know to be the case - disconnected on 27 June. But I understand she can only work by what she can see displayed on her screen for my account of course. She did say she had raised a complaint on my behalf to progress the problem but was not able to give me a reference number for it and I have not heard anything. The next agent did confirm that once a number is ported, then VM assume that account is terminated and they will disconnect it at any time. Although that conflicts with the one written communication they did send me back on 18 Jun.

Weirdly, an email arrived today 09 July to say there would be a price increase on my account from 01 September.

So I called again, in case the system somehow thought I wanted to continue the service. This agent said I need not worry, the price increase would not apply to me. He could not confirm that in writing but he assured me I could ignore the written notice of the price increase. At that point I inquired about the notice and cancellation dates and he told me I had given notice on 29 Jun and would be disconnected on 29 July. Again, he can only work to what his screens told him but these dates are not only wrong but different from any mentioned by the previous nine agents.

In the meantime I wrote to VM by signed-for delivery to record what has actually happened but I've not had a reply yet.

If anyone from VM reads these threads it would be interesting to hear what they think.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting in touch with us Engineer2 and sorry to hear of your issues over the last few weeks.

I would need to take a look into your account before I can say anything about this. Would you be ok for me to look into your account? I would need to send you a private message asking for some more account information, which I will send over in a moment. Please respond to the private message with the details and I will look into this further for you.

Thanks

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Engineer2
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Failure to send message

Hi, I have tried to reply to a private message sent me by a VM person on the forum but got the message below. I've not previously had this problem, can anyone advise me please? The sender asked me to reply to him.

'Authentication failed. Authentication ticked mismatched, failed authentication'

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Failure to send message

Hi Engineer2,

Sorry to hear that you're having some issues responding to the private message from us. Can I ask what steps you're taking before this message appears? For example what do you click on and at what point this message appears?

Thanks
Lucy - Mod Team

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Engineer2
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the prompt reply Lucy.

I clicked on 'reply' as I did for this message, wrote the message and then clicked on 'send' and the fault message appeared a few seconds after I clicked on 'send' To the best of my knowledge that's the same as I've done previously. I repeated the exercise and got the same result but this time I saved the message on a Word document first so it was easy to try a third time, and the third attempt was successful. Perhaps it timed out somehow as I was composing the message.

Best regards

John

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Engineer2,

Thanks for getting back to me and I'm glad to hear that this message has now sent.

It is very strange that you received this error message on the first two attempts; if you do experience this issue the next time you send a private message, please let us know so that we can investigate this further.

Thanks
Lucy - Mod Team

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos