cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation - Phone left on contract

LincolnVMCust
Tuning in

I spent a loooong time on the phone the other day getting my VM broadband and TV cancelled due to the horrendous prices (and the lack of value for those prices when compared to new customers).

As background, I've been out of contract for a long time put up with the prices as we were going to be moving house and I wanted to avoid getting back into a new 18m contract.  Situation has changed, so I have looked at costs and decided that what I get from VM is simply not worth the £105 per month cost for 200Mb cable, a landline we don't use, no mobile, and standard TV with no sports, movies or any other packages (and that's before the price increases).

I called to cancel, spent over an hour on the phone and was offered a good discount but no changes to package. Despite being a £££ saving, the offer ended up almost triple the cost that a new customer would pay so I opted to cancel and go elsewhere. Worst case, my wife will sign up as new customer with a start date after current service is disconnected. I can get Volt for £30 less than I'll pay after the increases and will also be able to save money from my standalone Netflix and my Three pay-monthly SIM.

Anyhow, the offshore agent asked if I wanted to reserve my phone number after disconnect of cable TV and BB - no indication of cost or implications for continuing a service I explicitly told him we don't use - I said yes but have now received the cancellation confirmation and find that VM state the phone service will continue at £27 per month.

Can the VM Forum team assist with cancelling this last element or do I need to waste another 1h+ of my time on a call to cancellations / retentions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you ask your new provider to port your landline number?

If so, Virgin Media must keep your line active and paid for until your new provider takes over the number.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you ask your new provider to port your landline number?

If so, Virgin Media must keep your line active and paid for until your new provider takes over the number.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dear Forum Team

Can you check to see whether confirmation of all services has been scheduled and, if so, the termination date?

I recently cancelled TV and BB but left landline as I wasn't told of the £27p/month charge to keep the number until able to port to new provider.

We've since realised that we don't need the landline number so have spoken to the offshore team to cancel - had a bit of a merry dance as the first agent I spoke to cancelled the cancellation altogether; I was then passed to another agent who re-cancelled but tried to tell me I would have to pay for a an extra two weeks for all services. I refused and he eventually told me that it was all sorted out, and that the cancellation was taking place on the same day for all services (albeit two days later than original date). 

Would like to have confirmation of service termination dates & final bill etc but contract on My Virgin Media is shown "pending". No further emails or texts with info....

Can provide account number etc in PM if you can help..

Thanks in advance,

Hi Ernie and apologies for the delayed response...

The £27 charge wasn't mentioned on the cancellation call - I presumed that VMB were "parking" the number not keeping the line in contract.

On reflection, more than a bit naive of me to think that VM would "hold" the number for nought even if they could...

Anyhow, now hopefully sorted but thanks for the info

Hi @LincolnVMCust thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear of any confusion around your cancellation and for any inconvenience this may be causing you. I would like to take a closer look on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @LincolnVMCust, thanks for getting back to me privately.  
This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Please bear in mind, you can manage your account from here. Your online account, will give you access to your bills, show your package details, diagnose any possible faults and monitor any orders and appointments you may have. 
Regards
Lee_R