cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel my service, not a cat in hells chance!!!

idparkinson
Dialled in

After getting my price increase letter today I decided that enough was enough and that I would cancel my Virgin service.  I have Virgin and O2 so I have a Volt add-on that gives me a data speed of 500 Mb, and a mobile data limit of 50GB.   As a single, retired person this is total overkill for both broadband and mobile data.   I could manage with 50Mb of broadband speed and 10GB of mobile data but can I get thorough to either Virgin or O2 to make any changes, not a chance.  I have tried all methods today, calls, live chat, etc.   The Virgin live chat said it had a wait of over 4 hours and that I should use WhatsApp.  Well I'm sorry but I don't use WhatsApp, and why should I have to?   The calls to Virgin I gave up on after 40 mins.   The strange thing is that if I used the chat or phone to try to upgrade my package I got through to someone instantly, no wait at all.   I makes you think that Virgin might be understaffing the phones lines where people might want to reduce their spending, or am I being cynical?   Anyway I have decided enough it enough and am moving from Virgin / O2 after many, many (over 15 years) with both.

I have ordered a GiffGaff SIM that uses the O2 network (including 5G), and I will get 15GB for £10, a £5 saving already.   I can keep my number.

Then I will get a broadband service at around 65 Mb which is more than enough for me for £20 a month.  I was paying Virgin £53 a month for M500 (Volt upgrade from the M350 I had).  So a saving of £33 a month.   All I had from Virgin was the broadband, I had ditched the landline and TV service month ago for the same reason, price and shocking customer service.

Total saving £38 a month, or £456 a year.

I have raised a complaint with Virgin, but as they take 28 days to respond I will be writing to them via snail mail, registered post to cancel the service.   Should they not take action I will be taking them to the small claims court for breach of contract.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well after a long wait on the phone this morning (I was determined wait and no give in) I eventually got through to retentions.

The best deal they could offer was M100 for £30 a month on an 18 month contract.  I turned it down an cancelled.

I have had a confirmation email of the cancellation which is great. 

I have my PAC for O2 as well, so that will be used tomorrow when the new SIM arrives.

After many years I'm glad to finally say goodbye to Virgin Media and O2.

Yes I will have a slower internet connection, but I really did not need M500 (which by the way often provided less than 150mb) and never actually reached 500 at anytime that I have had it.  Not did I need the 50GB of O2 data, the max I have ever used is 8GB and only then on purpose by streaming music in the car just to try to use the 50GB they provided.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @idparkinson 

The Complaints process takes up to 28 days so you are still better to phone

You can call  150 from your Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, (option 4 thinking of leaving)  but best to call at 8am to avoid call queues

Or write to them to as per the terms and conditions. If writing send it by registered post. Virgin Media Sunderland SR43 4AA

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Clearly you missed the fact that I have already tried all the contact methods you suggested.
A 4+ hour wait is simply not good enough.

Just cutting and pasting the same info into these threads that we have read many times does not help if you have not read what has already been tried by the OP.

I know you are wanting to up your credibility but you have not provided a solution. I will wait to see if VM can be bothered to chip in.

Im confused you say will be leaving but then say you want virgin to respond or you will take them to small claims for breach of contract. But you dont say what for do you think the price rise is a breach of contract?

Hi idparkinson,

Changing prices is never an easy decision, but as service usage has increased over the last 24 months we have to continuously re-invest in our network. Doing so permits more people to enjoy our services and meet the demand to continuously deliver the fastest widely-available speeds in the UK. 

If you get in touch with the team, they'll be happy to take a look at your billing and package to see what can be done to help. You can find and access all of our available contact options, including live chat, here: virg.in/VMcontact.

^Martin

Well after a long wait on the phone this morning (I was determined wait and no give in) I eventually got through to retentions.

The best deal they could offer was M100 for £30 a month on an 18 month contract.  I turned it down an cancelled.

I have had a confirmation email of the cancellation which is great. 

I have my PAC for O2 as well, so that will be used tomorrow when the new SIM arrives.

After many years I'm glad to finally say goodbye to Virgin Media and O2.

Yes I will have a slower internet connection, but I really did not need M500 (which by the way often provided less than 150mb) and never actually reached 500 at anytime that I have had it.  Not did I need the 50GB of O2 data, the max I have ever used is 8GB and only then on purpose by streaming music in the car just to try to use the 50GB they provided.

I have just had a call from VM who wanted to make me an offer. As I was  a customer with them for over 20 years I qualified for New Customer offers. I made it clear I had made my decision which was initially based on price and then after trying to do something about the price the appalling customer service. He then got quite aggressive and pushy because I was not interested that he could make me an offer of M100 and O2 SIM (he did not state what the O2 SIM included) for £25. I still said no thanks. I explained I had made my decision and that I wanted to leave VM and O2.  He then said I could have the deal for £22. When I still declined he got quite rude and challenged that my decision to leave was stupid and clearly not about price. He then just said fine I will disconnect you as requested and hung up. 

It is exactly this rude, bribery and coercion that wanted me to leave VM. If a customer wants to discuss reducing service and costs it should be a simple process, preferably done online. Prices charged should be honest and open not riddled with holes and inconsistent. I would have been paying VM / O2 £56.25 + £15.12 (£71.37) when the more appropriate price for what I actually wanted was reduced to £22. A £50 rip off. I should not have had to try for hours and wait ages to speak to someone to be offered initially a deal for £35, then £30. Then the following day get a call from a blocked number offering a deal for £25 and £22. As a loyal customer of over 20 years (VMs words) I would have expected better. Instead it is difficult to reduce or cancel services, staff are rude and I felt pressured to take the deal. No apology for the poor service, no apology for not being offered a decent deal initially, no what I got was a salesman who would not accept that I wanted to leave and not take his offer. I know why he was angry, because he will be seen as having failed to retain a customer. Well that anger should be pointed to his employer NOT the customer. 

This has only confirmed my decision to leave. 
I don’t think I have ever seen such a bad customer service offering from any other company. 

Hi @idparkinson,

I am incredibly sorry to hear of your experience here. It's definitely not what we like to hear at all.

I can certainly appreciate why you're so unhappy, and if you did wish to raise a complaint then you can find our complaints code of practice here. If you need further assistance then please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I have raised a complaint, but as it takes 28 days for a response it’s not really great customer service either.   It’s all too little to late. 

Hi @idparkinson,

I do apologise. I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments. If you need further assistance, please respond to this at your earliest convenience and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!