cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel and my partner join as new customer

silentg1971
Dialled in

my contract is coming to an end and since virgin have zero interest in giving me better deal after 20 years plus with them .

I am rarely at home anyway with work but if my partner wants virgin services and pays for it herself, can she get the new customer deals

230 REPLIES 230

Hi BFuller1,

That's absolutely disgraceful how long it took for you to reply, how dare you take time away from the forum you should be at the ready for whenever someone needs help!! Just kidding, hope you had a nice break away from trying to help everyone. I think I speak for most, that we all appreciate your help and guidance to save us some money 🙂.

We decided to keep the o2 sim in the end as the grandchild was asking their Dad (my son) for a phone so we said they could have the sim and my son gave her his old phone so a win for her!! Also means she can video call is on whatsapp whenever she likes and not worry about using Mum or Dads phone.

Thanks again for the help, i'm sure i'll be back for some more advice when this contract is running out 😅.

Thanks for keeping this thread going and I've toyed with opting for this route but torn with losing my NTLWorld email that I've had for many years as a "loyal" Virgin customer.

Many years ago when I have a freeserve email I was told by someone to change to a generic free email host but ignored them, lost freeseve when EE no longer supported it and just kept NTLWorld as default! I've now got icloud and gmail accounts but weighing up changing everything over to one of them as my main account. I suspect there will coma a time when companies like Google start to charge a nominal fee for email hosting so inclined to keep icloud as deafult given i pay the 79ppm for cloud storage and cant envisage having anything other than iPhone even though I'm a desktop PC user!

Before I do can I ask if anyone has managed to barter down a price to very close to the new customer packages and the best approach? Naturally I'd want the new 'box' to replace my TiVo that doesn't support most apps like itvX but doubt they'd agree to that being an old customer without paying the £99. My landline I'm less worried about as its always on ansaphone to screen cold callers plus I can switch it to my VOiP service line.

Hi @Zingari 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

In relation to new deals you'll need to speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 

However, I will PM you regarding the migration of the phone line and also the TV box

Best wishes

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Looks like I'm going to have to do down this route.

Been with Virgin for at least 10 years, and generally prefer it to Sky, particularly due to the broadband speeds.

However, my bill is now an astronomical £157 / month on the "Ultimate Ooomph bundle" , and I still have a hub 3. M600 broadband, Maxit TV (with Premier Sports, Ultra HD, Sky Sports, Cinema etc) and some sort of sim card that I've never used.

Looks like my wife, who has never been a Virgin customer, could get a better bundle for £85 (or £60 if we remove the sim card). That's a huge saving. Not sure if we'd have to pay for Premier Sports on the "Ultimate Volt Bundle" that she's going to go for.

@Zingari wrote:

Thanks for keeping this thread going and I've toyed with opting for this route but torn with losing my NTLWorld email that I've had for many years as a "loyal" Virgin customer.

Many years ago when I have a freeserve email I was told by someone to change to a generic free email host but ignored them, lost freeseve when EE no longer supported it and just kept NTLWorld as default! I've now got icloud and gmail accounts but weighing up changing everything over to one of them as my main account. I suspect there will coma a time when companies like Google start to charge a nominal fee for email hosting so inclined to keep icloud as deafult given i pay the 79ppm for cloud storage and cant envisage having anything other than iPhone even though I'm a desktop PC user!

Before I do can I ask if anyone has managed to barter down a price to very close to the new customer packages and the best approach? Naturally I'd want the new 'box' to replace my TiVo that doesn't support most apps like itvX but doubt they'd agree to that being an old customer without paying the £99. My landline I'm less worried about as its always on ansaphone to screen cold callers plus I can switch it to my VOiP service line.

You can do better than new customer sometimes. All depends on what's allowed in the system, quotas for each representative and if you geta long in a conversation. You should expect something at new customer or near as its another 18 month contract and it's cheaper to discount than take equipment back which costs for postage, refurbish it, discount new customers AND often give them cashback or other gifts and pay cashback sites for their orders if they used quidco or topcashback as they can be hefty cashback awards. Got to be something for a customer to commit to an 18 month contract again, right?

Also if new customers get the new kit, then my own opinion is that recontacting customers should have the ability to do so as well. If you take a 500mbps or less service then the HUB3 is still adequate for those speeds, but you may need AX WIFI support so ask for the HUB5. If VM lock the HUB5 for 1GIG service then it's a dead end as that is their right. If you had an old TIVO box and wanted a v6 or 360 one for example, I'd personally expect them to be able to uplift that very old ancient creaking box to a newer one (even if refurbished as new). Why should only new customers get a much better box, you'd be re-contracting after all...

Spent about 45 minutes on the phone yesterday. Initially speaking with a lovely UK based agent, who could only go to £110 for the package I want (ultimate volt) when the new customer deal is £85 (including £25 for the sim). Then I got transferred to India, and it all went downhill at that point. Was told that I can cancel but my wife cannot place an order for 60 days (can anyone confirm if this is true?).

Today I get an email saying my £157 monthly bill is going to increase by £21.50 / month so that's made my mind up for me. I'll cancel and get her to order as a new customer. We'll get an upgraded hub, broadband speed will double and we'll save about £1000 / year.

If I remember correctly, I also got the free BB upgrade and O2 data doubling. SO that is just another thing to think about if you are going to go for any of the VOLT bundles etc

Been with NTL/Virgin since 1999, sadly no luck with retentions given the recent £7 a month jump in costs, on the plus side it did cause me to look at my options and I found a deal for 500Mbps and telephone for £30 a month on a 2 year contract which retentions could not match as I am on £32 for M250 pre-price hike.  Shame to leave after 23 years but it seems that is the only way to avoid being overcharged these days... 

My only worry is that I got a PDF tonight suggesting I was now on £19 a month for 5 months just to keep my phone line (which is being migrated to the new provider as part of the switch).  I called up tonight to be told that I wont be charged after the 30th March, but given the document says 5 more months (and the billing issues I've seen documented by others in the past) I am a little worried - might just cancel my DD after the last bill to be sure...  On the plus side I was made redundant recently so at least I have plenty of time to go to the ombudsman if it all goes awry I suppose, but secretly am just hoping I get a call in the next day or so offering to match the Vodafone deal for 24 months...  Lets see what happens next!!!

Hi Happy1972,

Thanks for your post on the forums, I am sorry to hear that you've decided to leave us, but I can understand why from what you've mentioned in your post. 

I just wanted to pop you a quick reply as you said you were a little confused about the PDF you received about the next 5 months. 

Because you're porting your landline along side cancelling, we need to make sure the landline aspect of your account is kept open so that your new provider can successfully port it over. If the landline is closed down along side the main account, your number could be lost! 

So we've kept your landline part of your account open for the time being and added a few more months on to take into account any issues that are unlikely to arise - Hope for the best, prepare for the worst kind of thing! 🙂 

You will not be charged for this timeframe either! 

I hope this helps to clear up any uncertainty, feel free to ask us any other questions!

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hello Megan,

Thank you for the quick reply and explanation/reassurance!  Seeing the PDF stating 5 months at £19 a month was very disconcerting last night!  Its good to know that is not going to be the case, hopefully the number porting will go smoothly on the 28th, which is a couple of days before my contact is due to end.