cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel and my partner join as new customer

silentg1971
Dialled in

my contract is coming to an end and since virgin have zero interest in giving me better deal after 20 years plus with them .

I am rarely at home anyway with work but if my partner wants virgin services and pays for it herself, can she get the new customer deals

230 REPLIES 230

Hi levingsworth, 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

When placing the disconnection request, it does so on the old account. I then sign up using the new account.

As notice is served on the old account, VM don't actually start any disconnection work at all, instead sending it to their retentions teams beforehand. They only see the account to be cancelled, and generally haven't noticed the fact that a new order has been processed.

When you get the phone call, offering you the discount, if you choose to accept, make sure you cancel the installation of the new account as there could be issues there, if you decide not to accept the discounts and proceed with the new customer offer, just make sure they raise the work order for the disconnection request, and it's processed 1 day before the installation of new services.

Hope this helps.

BFULLER1
On our wavelength

Greetings Paul,

Please could you remove your earlier post as it is stating completely incorrect information.

There is no requirement of the additional 30 days. As I explain in a further post, person 1 gives notice to cancel and person 2 places a new order with installation for the day after the disconnection of the previous account.

When speaking with your Executive Team, who checked with VM's internal Counsel, it was confirmed that no such policy exists.

Regards

Hi BFULLER

So I’ve been going through the same as everyone else here. VM couldn’t give me a good deal so I decided to cancel and have my son sign up. 

All went well throughout the order process, however he’s just received an email stating that there is already a VM account at the same address, and the order cannot be processed yet. He should be expecting a call as they need to “look into the order”

Have you had this before? Is there something I can do otherwise?

Edit: He booked the new service to begin one day after the existing contract will end

Hi,

I've never come across this at all. I've heard this talked about within VM though. It seems it's been flagged by something called their 'Exceptions' team. It could be that the've noticed your surnames are the same [just guessing], that being the case, you'd just need to get your sone to say you moved out. It's an odd one, their legal team have confirmed that there is nothing in the terms stating you can't do this, so them having a team specifically employed to stop it is probably something that I should report to the Ombudsman when I get chance. 

This is the only thing I can think it would be, with the reason I haven't come across this particular problem is that my partner and I never married so she has a different surname to me - that said, our account number currently ends in a 4 - showing that we have done this successfully now 4 times.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, that was my initial thought too, and I was surprised to have such a response so quickly. It was on my mind for him to say that I have moved out, as they cannot prove otherwise. The email did say "there is an existing account under somebody else's name", so hopefully they are just confirming a few things beforehand, it doesn't sound like they've matched the surnames (hopefully).

Once we get the phone call, I will update.

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the Community Forums, Jas-Singh685,

Yes, we will send notices to person's whose address matches an incoming install request. If you do not acknowledge the email or phone call then it can potentially delay the install.

Cheers,

Corey C

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the reply. I think I have missed one call, and I got disconnected from another. It seems difficult to get back in contact to acknowledge the notice about a new install. 

What would be the best way to contact you? I tried calling once, and I only got confirmation that my contact is due to end. No mention about a new order from someone else. 

Thanks,

Jas

Hi Jas,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately with sales/upgrade queries there little that we are able to do here from the forums. I can only advise giving the care team a ring at 0345 454 1111 or 150 if you have a landline with us. We also do have an SMS support line to help with the queues, this number is 07533051809

Cheers,

Corey C

loveable_rouge
Joining in

Hi,

Please could you confirm...

If someone leaves virgin media after their 30days termination notice, how long can does it take until they can take up a new customer deal?

The information given to people on here is different to the information I was given on the telephone yesterday.

I was also told the time before when I renewed originally, that I was not allowed to just have broadband, I had to have tel and TV package or nothing. The  gent I spoke to yesterday told me this was incorrect and justified his colleagues actions by saying some CSR's are able to do just broadband deals and some aren't. 

The tel and TV were never installed as I didn't need them, I told the engineer not to bother. The gent on the phone yesterday confirmed my TV and Tel usage were zero so I terminated my contract and signed with BT. However now my streaming services are popping up with a message saying my connection is not fast enough to stream the video. This has never happened before, I have 100mb, I live on my own, not downloading, or uploading. It seems that my services are now being capped.

This is just something I will just have to live with for the next 30days since a complaint will do nothing and Ofcom probably can't do anything to stop it either. It's such a shame to be treated in this manner after being a loyal customer.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"If someone leaves virgin media after their 30days termination notice, how long can does it take until they can take up a new customer deal?"

90 days