cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create Virgin Media account

Tandoorifoil
Tuning in

Hello, 

I just moved over to virgin media literally yesterday with pretty much no friction which was a first, however when trying to create an account to manage some of the broadband settings, I cannot create a password regardless of what I enter as I am always given the message "You can't use that password, please try another". I've used passwords with and without symbols and numbers just to check but to no avail.

I've read on some of the forums that similar issues exist, but most of the ones I've seen end without any sure fire way of fixing due to private messages or just suddenly stop. 

Additionally, upon trying to use another browser to create an account, I cannot even get past the first stage and I'm greeted with error "DEF01". 

Help would be appreciated,

Lucas

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply Reece.  So are you saying that the "My Virgin Media" account cannot be accessed until 72 hours after the VM services are activated?  Or is it 72 hours after the VM account was first registered?

I don't particularly need access to the app/account yet, but nothing in VM's communication emails so far has indicated that I need to wait for activation of the services to gain access (in fact I was advised that I'd be able to change the install date through the account if I needed to), and whilst I can check contract details from the emails I have been sent, I feel like its a question of confidence in the system.  The cynic in me makes me think this delay (to wait until 3 days after service activation before I should take any action) is just run down the 14 day cooling off period.

The issue I'm getting doesn't particularly look like its VM account related, I was perfectly able to register my VM account, the issue is that that every time I try to confirm the email address I'm told that the confirmation email has expired.  This looks like a problem that will persist, regardless of my VM account state, and other people have complained of the same thing too.

If onboarding (a time when customer service is typically at its best) is this awkward (there are multiple threads from people who are having difficulty creating accounts) and the messaging from customer services (email communications after sign up, chats during sign-up, customer service via whatsapp and the forum) is mixed, then I begin to lose confidence in VM's ability to help me when there is an actual service issue or similar when I'm mid contract.

Anonymous
Not applicable

However, I do appreciate the reply and won't seek any further assistance accessing the VM account if you say it's not available yet. 

I'll monitor other peoples experiences in the forum over the next week or so, if they are having similar problems then that will help me decide whether to cancel the services pre-installation.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Anonymous

I'm sorry if it was unclear. My Virgin Media can take up to 72 hours to be updated to recognise your account information, from when your Virgin Media Services are activated. I'm going to send over a PM to look into this for you as the Verification Link should stay active for a few hours after requesting it. 

I completely understand your caution with this, but I'm going to see what I can get sorted for you. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top-right of our forums. 

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Tandoorifoil
Tuning in

In the second to last post I mentioned how the passwords had to be exactly 10 characters long, and despite having progressed was still caught in a situation where I could not go further with my account. 

Firstly, after writing my response which contained some spite shortly after rummaging around in my email bin I tried out on a whim to reuse the link and it let me continue. I still had to wait for maybe a minute before the detail loaded on the page but it was doing something instead of just standing there. I never mentioned it sooner purely due to negligence and would like to apologise to anyone who found this thread and did not find a proper solution.

Secondly, the reason behind the password character length is due to some form of miscommunication in web design. When changing your password within the account settings it clearly states between 8-10 characters, however when creating an account for the first time it says anywhere between the ranges of 8-24 (or whatever the upper limit was, I couldn't remember) and also tells you that the conditions are met.

To summarise, setting the password to a somewhat strong 10 character long that starts with a letter should allow you to deal with the "could not use password", as for the link expiring, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL IN HOPES FOR ANOTHER, by either deleting it or simply because it doesn't work, clicking the resend verification does not work. Instead close and refresh the tabs and open the link again.

Hope this helps.

Hi @Tandoorifoil

Glad to hear that you've been able to resolve this and thank you very much for letting the community know the steps you took.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be here to help if needed. 

All the best,

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley