cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable my street

rgjstone
Tuning in

Hi I'm just wondering if I could get some information if it's likely my street will be cabled in the near future? I noticed there's some cables being installed a street over and further back from there.

I've attached an image to show where they're being installed, we live between Wardle St and Sandal St and are all currently connected to an old bt cabinet and community funding an upgrade would cost us £5k through openreach even though there are fibre enabled cabinets within 20 metres and we live walking distance to the centre of manchester. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 20.34.47.png

578 REPLIES 578

Andy111
On our wavelength

Hi Ellen, Nina, the attached screenshot is what I mean. That's the plan for our street to be cabled in July this year. As it says "install a VM connection to each passing property" so does that mean that some properties may miss out. And if so why would some properties miss out, and what would prevent a property being installed, despite the whole street being according to the plans cabled.

Many thanks for you assistance.

If necessary I can send you my full address again for you to check to see if my actually property is set to receive a connection with no issues.

Many thanks AndyScreenshot_20190318-173703_Chrome.jpg

We would always connect each possible property but in some cases it might be that one side of the street doesn't have it, whereas the other does. 

This could be down to access to the property, access to run the cables to the property or permission from the council. 

I'm sure as soon as we have further news on it being installed in your street then we'll let you know. 

:) 

Emma_C - Forum Team

Andy111
On our wavelength

Thanks Emma. No probs thanks for explaining. Can I therefore just ask 1 further question, I notice on the plans for our street it says "Build 4 footway cabinets, and build 3 carriageway crossings. Does that mean the plans include 4 grey cabinets on the street and does the 3 carriageway crossings means there will be cables run from one side of the street to the other side of the street, thus feeding both sides in most cases. 

Guthrie
Joining in

Hi, 

Just wondering if you can give me any info on whether my address is due to be cabled? My main street was cabled in December, but my cul de sac wasn't. 

Thanks, 

Hi Andy111, 

That's exactly what it means 🙂 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Guthrie, 

Thanks for your post. 

Usually once we've been in the area, if your address hasn't been cabled then it means there are no plans too. 

Cul de sacs are usually subject to wayleave or there may be private roads. 

We'll be making plans for 2021 soon so you may get on the plans then. 

Apologies. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Andy111
On our wavelength

Thanks Kath. Hope you are well. I'd started to get excited when I'd seen cables being laid in other streets near us (as part of the build, with our street scheduled for July on the plans). However when I saw "install a VM connection to each Passing property listed for our street, I was worried they might miss just my house out or side of the street out lol. However the plans do state build 4 footway cabinets, and build 3 carriageway crossings, so it does look like both sides are set to be done.

There is a block of flats on the opposite side further up, so perhaps that's why they have put install to each passing place. Lol

Hi.  Sorry if this has already been covered but I've recently moved to one of seven new (11 year old) build.

Obviously I have registered on the checker etc. however all I want to know is, how do we (all seven houses) get somebody to see wether it's ever possible to have our road (red line) installed as the main street (green line) has already been done sometime ago.

Thanks

Darren

Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 09.22.37.png

Hi guys!

Is there any update in regards to my area being cabled? I have noticed a few roadworks being carried out close to me by Virgin Media under 'advanced planning' on the roadworks.org website.

My postal code is M30 0FQ.

Can anyone confirm how soon I can get my grubby mitts on propper broadband?

Thanks,

Nate.

Andy111
On our wavelength

Hi Kath / Mods. Sorry to be a pain but can you just clarify one further point, then I will leave you in peace (honest) lol.

As per the screenshotted plans for our street. Although it appears they are cabling both sides , as there is set to be 3 carriageway crossings, It says "Install a VM connection to each passing property". Now I understand "install to each passing property" might mean some properties may miss out, however does this mean that when the build takes place, they will just install drop points where they wish or does it mean drop points will be installed outside each property providing there is no restrictions affecting that property. In other words when they start the build will I need to request a drop point outside or will they automatically put us one, providing no issues.

Also if for some reason they cannot place right outside our house, but can install a drop point next door, how many houses can use 1 drop point. I've seen some posts saying only 1 house can be connected and then others saying 2 houses could be connected to one drop point.

Many thanks for your assistance.Screenshot_20190318-173703_Chrome.jpg