cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable my street

rgjstone
Tuning in

Hi I'm just wondering if I could get some information if it's likely my street will be cabled in the near future? I noticed there's some cables being installed a street over and further back from there.

I've attached an image to show where they're being installed, we live between Wardle St and Sandal St and are all currently connected to an old bt cabinet and community funding an upgrade would cost us £5k through openreach even though there are fibre enabled cabinets within 20 metres and we live walking distance to the centre of manchester. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 20.34.47.png

578 REPLIES 578

Hi,

Can I ask for an update as to this build that I know is in progress as the cable has been laid in the street. How long is it until estimated that orders can be raised?

Thanks

Hello Andy111

Thanks for you reply 

I can assure you the Team laying the new cable will make sure everything is as it was before and after.

There will always be a Foreman on site who will be happy to answer any questions you have 

Regards 

Gareth_L

Andy111
On our wavelength

Brill thanks Gareth. Really looking forward to finally been able to hopefully get some decent internet speeds once done lol.

TBF it is a large area of several miles they are building so has I've said they have got ours down to be done in July (Roadworks.org) also confirm the permits in place and they did say it would be live around September.

So just one last question, when the initial build takes place  does that just include laying the initial cable or does that also include running the cable to the house and fixing to the brown Virgin box on the outside of the house wall.

In other words during the initial build / cable laying in July is that to also to connect to the house, or is the initial phase to just lay the cables under the pavement and then does the cable to the House / Brown box get done when you place your order for services.

Obviously I'm new to the whole process so just trying to understand what's involved and time scales before fully complete.

Thanks for all your assistance  

Hello again and thanks for replying Andy111

The initial cabling will be alongside the property

Each property will then have there own access point 

Once this is active and all new addresses are added 

We can then raise an order for you 

Before we install the service inside your property, we arrange for a pre install team to come out and discuss the best cable route externally 

Hope that helps a bit 

Fingers crossed July hurries up, without wishing the summer away that is 

Gareth_L

Andy111
On our wavelength

Thanks Gareth. Appreciate the reassuring quick replies. 

Andy111
On our wavelength

Screenshot_20190318-124714_Chrome.jpg

Hi Gareth, hope your well. Just a quick question, is there anywhere I can view the screenshoted plans. As I'm a taxi driver it would be useful to know how it will affect the road network and as to where the cabinets will be placed.

Another quick question is I've noticed on the build, it says on some streets and I quote "Install a VM connection to each Property", whereas on some streets it says and I quote "Install a VM connection to each passing property". Could anyone explain the difference. 

Nina_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I appreciate your interest, Andy111. 

For the difference of "Install a VM connection to each Property",  vs. "Install a VM connection to each passing property" . First one means that, if you choose to take Virgin Media services, it will be available to be installed within each home on that street and the latter means that, the service is going to be available not particularly on the property but within the nearest area.

With your query about the plan, kindly check here and you'll be able to get all the information about how our network expansion works.

Hope this helps.

^Nina_S

Andy111
On our wavelength

Thanks Nina, not sure I understand you with ref to the difference. So I understand the install in every property bit, however take our street where it says install to every passing property. You say that means it's available to the nearest area, by that do you mean, that its still available to every property on the street but potentially the cable needs to run from a further distance, or do you mean that, potentially some houses may not be able to receive the install.

If it is a case that you mean, may not be able to install in every property, I'm curious as to what could prevent each house being cabled. 

Going off the plans you are cabling the whole street, and during a drop in and public presentation the reps did say the whole street was being done, so not sure why only some properties will not be if that's what you mean.

I have recently given my address to another mod and they did say our address was set to be down. 

Many thanks for your assistance 

Ellen_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, Andy. Thanks for the prompt reply. Please click here, to find out more about the service, if it's available within your area. Hope this helps. ^Ellen_C

Andy111
On our wavelength

Hi Ellen, thanks for the reply. However that is no use at the moment as the street isn't being cabled until July and so it just says, not available, so my query is still the same and thus, if the whole street is being cabled as per the plans, why is it, that if Nina meant  "each passing property" means some houses may not be able to receive Virgin media, why is that and what can prevent a virgin media media connection in some houses, even though the whole street is set to be installed.

In other words why can some houses be installed, however some cant?