Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable in my street but checker saying no service available

Hi Theagg

I've had some feedback from our Network teams to say it's not on any plans yet.

I've bumped it to the Lightning Teams as you're quite close to an existing network to see if thy are able to include this, but their options for inclusion are very small now as we have taken on most of the planned work for 2018/19.

I'll let you know if I get any further feedback.

Cheers

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Theagg
Joining in
Message 12 of 104
Flag for a moderator

I'm a bit confused here by the "it's not in our plans" response.

Does this mean it's not in their plans to connect anyone in this street for at least the next two years, even if they apply now, despite your cable already being laid in the street,  and despite their post code checkers saying yes almost every other property ?

Or does this mean, "it's only in our plans to connect those in the street whose post code check says yes"? In other words, if they apply for your service, you will connect up the bungalow next door to me, or the bungalow directly across the road now ?

Hence my confusion as to exactly what that means, because if you will connect up any of the properties next to me and across the road from me, where their postcode checker currently says 'yes', what exactly has got to change here for me to get connected as well ? The cable is here now and technically my flat is the same distance, if not closer,to it in the pavement as all the other properties with the 'yes' response in the postcode checker.

I'm wondering here if your departments are confused by my address on the postcode checker, as at face value, it looks like a separate road name, (but it isn't, its a building name) so perhaps they mistakenly think that it would require cabling that extra 'road' ( which is why the "not in our plans" response was given)

I'm on the same road, next to the same pavement, as all the other properties that give a 'yes' response, so what other plans do they need to put in operation in two or three years, that would enable me to be connected, that they don't need to put into operation to connect my next door neighbour right now ? Really confusing.

(I will add, I have already had it confirmed by the local council, via my housing officer, there would be no problems connecting me, re wayleave etc)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Hi Theagg

I appreciate that it's a little confusing and please bear in mind we don't look at the plans and street views from the forums so  just pass on what the teams who do tell me for you.

There are more homes than just your property not  cabled on this street. I checked on our system and there's at least another 9 showing as refer to Simplify Digital.

This is because we have no current plans for expansion via the expansion planning teams who are undertaking works passed to them via the Lightning Teams.

All approved plans and build work is in with our Network teams unless the Lightning Teams feel they could reassess this option forums, which is what we are chasing for you now.

I'll keep in touch when I get a reply.

Kind regards.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Theagg
Joining in
Message 14 of 104
Flag for a moderator

I will add some extra info here if that will help. Yep, the few other addresses in the street showing as 'unavailable' are also blocks of flats (older buildings but also council owned). Unlike my new build though, those blocks of flats simply have a single street number which covers all the flats inside the building. (Example, the older block of flats next to my building on the right side is simply numbered 115, even though within that there are several flats)

Whereas my new build, has all the individual flats numbered separately, and the building as a whole, has a name. The rest of the properties in the street, from next door on the left side of my building, the house across the road directly opposite my flat and all the other properties right the way along the road on both sides that are listed as 'yes, service available', are all detached/semi detached bungalows..

I'm tempted to go out and take some pictures to show just how close I am to the pavement where the cable is laid and the CATV pit, compared to the bungalow opposite me and next door to me (which can get your services) !. The cable in the pavement runs past my flat, in both directions, it's not that it only runs so far along the street and ends before reaching this part of the road. Which might help get the point across as to why its so odd ..

0 Kudos
Theagg
Joining in
Message 15 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen

If you can pass this on to the teams as  well.

Obviously as they are simply relying on the postcode checker and not actual onsite survey, its apparent to me they are replying based on incorrect information.

Onsite the situation is this.

1] The whole street is cabled, top to bottom on both sides. So there is no more 'expansion' to be had in this particular street. It's fully done.

2] At my end of the street, at the T junction, on my side of the road on the corner, is the newly installed Virgin cabinet. This cabinet is about 40m from my property.

3] The cable trench in the pavement proceeds from the cabinet at the T junction, up towards my home, then continues on past my home along the rest of the road. On this end of the road, there are two blocks of flats prior to my new build block (the other addresses showing as 'not available') and in front of each block, in the trench, at about 15m and 25m from the cabinet, your contractors have installed the small footway termination boxes (small black cover with Virgin Media logo on them). The cable trench continues up the pavement past these two blocks and just short of 40m from the street cabinet, pretty much right in front of my home in the pavement is the CATV footway chamber.

4] Right next to the footway chamber within 10cm, is the footway termination box (Toby) that has obviously been placed to serve my building.(Again small black cover with Virgin Media logo) This footway termination box is, in a straight line, about 15ft from my ground floor flat front lounge window. Between that Toby and my wall is a sloped grass strip.

5] So, all I need Virgin to do, is put in the final link, from that Toby, 15ft away, to my property. (As they would do with the next property along, that being a bungalow, which also has a Toby outside it, at roughly 70m from the cabinet.)

So I will reiterate and perhaps you can make the teams understand, no further expansion is required here. The termination box is literally right in front of my window. I just need the team to get past the 'computer says no' phase they seem stuck in and connect me to that termination box, as they would do with the bungalow next door and its respective termination box.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Hy Theagg

All highly informative and incredibly useful info so my thanks for that Smiley Very Happy

I've popped all of this back to see if this is a potential oversight and that the cabling is possibly done? It could be they have done the street-works but not connected the cab to the network making all the street-works redundant till this is completed.

I've asked them to see if they can arrange to get this checked out.

Cheers

Forum Team

0 Kudos
Theagg
Joining in
Message 17 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen,

thanks for the effort so far, I will keep at them as well.Smiley Happy

Here's an image broadly detailing the Virgin cable layout in my street. Red is the cable run as laid last year, running up the street from the cabinet.The red rectangle being my new build, with the white boxes marking all the footway termination (connection) points in the immediate area but these also continue right along both sides of the street. The properties lined in blue all show up as "great news, service available"

sreet.jpgstreet cabling

0 Kudos
Theagg
Joining in
Message 18 of 104
Flag for a moderator

For Karen, any further news on this ?

As staring through my lounge window at that unused Virgin connection point in the pavement a few metres away is frustrating !

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Hi Theagg, 

Thanks for coming back to Karen on this. 

I'm afraid there is no good news. There are no plans to get things moving currently. This could well be re-addressed in 2019 but for now we're unable to get you a Virgin Service. 

Apologies. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Theagg
Joining in
Message 20 of 104
Flag for a moderator

On what grounds are they saying I can't be connected when there is an existing Virgin connection box (Toby) in the pavement a few metres in front of my flat wall ?

The situation will be no different in 2019 or 2020 will it, since the street is fully cabled there is nothing to add or fill in. What exactly would change next year, or the year after ?

If your engineers can come out and connect the bungalow next door to the Virgin connection box in the same pavement outside that bungalow (and according to the postcode checker, they can do that right now if they wanted your service), then why not me to the Toby just outside my property, since I do want your service ? The distance between the Toby in the pavement near me to my wall, is less than the distance between the Toby in the pavement  outside the bungalow next door and their wall, so its actually less work in that respect to connect me, than the bungalow next door.

What then is the point of your contractors having installed connection points in the pavement close to my property, if you are not then willing to connect people in that property (ie me) to your service ? Connection points that will as a result, just remain unused.

Again, this seems to be an issue with your system by default ignoring flats and then not checking further on site (even when those flats are ground floor and are very close to already installed and waiting connection points) I know customers of yours have been connected in flats, even where the flat isn't internally wired so that's not the issue it seems.

So, what does it take for your teams to connect me to the ready and waiting Toby in the pavement 5 -6 metres away, as they would do now with the bungalow next door or across the road ?

Because I'm quite sure, knowing that the road and pavement are fully cabled right now, if I came back in a year or two and asked the same question, I would get the same answer, because your system doesn't really seem fully informed.

0 Kudos