Menu
Theagg
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Cable in my street but checker saying no service available

My street here in Peacehaven was cabled back in September last year and every other property on my side of the road, from next door to the end of the road is showing as 'great news, service is available'.

However, when I put my street number in the checker, it says services are not available (cable was laid in the footpath 15ft outside my front window).

So, my property, number 115, is not available, next door 117, all the way to 157 at street end, is available. I suspect the issue here is that my property is a new build, so your postcode checker database, although listing my address, is not up to date elsewhere. Or is it that my property is a ground floor flat in a block of 6 flats, whereas all the other properties along the road are bungalows/houses ?

Can you clarify this and let me know how and if I can get the service that everyone else in the road currently can ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable in my street but checker saying no service available

Flats are problematic as installs require internal ducting/comms rooms, and wayleave issues are normally the ground around is in private hands. etc.

Staff take around a week to respond ATM, so you are welcome to wait, but thats likely the issue.

0 Kudos
Theagg
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm, having read up a bit on Wayleave in the forums, it seems if that is the issue there's a process that has to be followed but I'm not sure exactly what that is. Do I contact the property owners first (in this case the local council, since the new build block is part of their housing stock) and let them know I'm considering connecting to Virgin ? Or do I contact Virgin first, through their 'Wayleave' team (however that's done) and then they contact the council to seek permission to tap in from the pavement ?

Hopefully one of the team here will be able to answer soon, if no one else can.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Hi Theagg, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. it's great to hear you are considering getting Virgin Media. 

Flats or Apartment buildings can be hit or miss due to a number of reasons. If we have cabled the street then we would of done investigations to install the flats too however it's likely Wayleave was refused or we put them as Non Serviceable due to Health and Safety. 

For now, we already have a full 2018 roll out planned as well as most of 2019 for new areas and New Builds too but we won't be doing any more in-filling now so it's highly unlikely we'll be able to install you any time soon. 

Apologies. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Theagg
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 125
Flag for a moderator

How do I find out if that is the case ? It seems strange having seen other examples of customers of yours having a service installed to a flat in very similar situations to mine with no problem, that this would be so.

Example, is that the normal process that Virgin goes through when cabling a street ? Do they of their own volition apply for permission to the local authority or housing association to cable up a block of flats even when no one in those flats has first asked about being connected or inquired about the service ?

Given these are new build flats and were probably not on the map so to speak when Virgin had first planned to cable this area I doubt that and I don't see any issues with health and safety for my own flat, which is ground floor. I also have doubts as your postcode checker is not correctly showing all the addresses in this road. (Half of the properties are missing for example)

So who or what department do I need to get in touch with to investigate my options further and clarify matters. Did Virgin actually approach my council ? As it does seem absurd that with your cable in the pavement 15ft away, the suggestion is that there will be no option to connect for another two to three years minimum ?

0 Kudos
Theagg
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Checking further I think my road is the dividing line between two postcode zones, hence the missing addresses. Not that this solves the other issues !

I would also refer you to these earlier posts that reflect a situation very similar to mine in which the advice was more positive, suggesting it was possible and a spotter? might be needed.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Council-Flat-Installation/m-p/3286337#M1585836

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/How-to-get-Virgin-installed-in-flat/td-p/3...

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Hi Theagg

Thanks for getting back with a fuller explanation

Firstly can you confirm your address is listed on Royal Mails system?

If so can you pop back to me with the below so we can look into this further for you with our teams and hopefully get this connected for you all things going to plan as it sounds like an easy win here if the hoe is not too far from the network Smiley Happy Fingers crossed anyway!

If you can pop back to me on a PM with:

• Your name
  • Your full address
  • The developers name
  • The development name
  • Your contact number

I can email them for you.

To PM* me, simply:

• Click on my forum PM link Karen_A

Many thanks

* For other forum users reading this, please only PM me if I have asked you to first.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Theagg
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Karen, message and details sent

0 Kudos
Theagg
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, a week on and I havne't yet heard anything new. Did Karen pass on the details and how long should I expect to wait for a response ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Hi Theagg

My apologies, between a department reshuffle (the Nex teams) and me being off for a few days I've not seen a response so I've sent this off again for a chaser. I have you bookmarked for a follow up ext week. Fingers crossed I get some good news for you Smiley Happy

Kind regards.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos