Menu
ries
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

CORRECTING the name for a newly opened account (NOT changing)

We have just opened a Virgin Media account for broadband with phone and TV bundle.  We did it on the phone on, probably 7 July and the contract and the service started on 11 July.  We wanted to sign up the service on-line to minimise the possibility of mistakes to be made, but we had to do it on the phone because we were told that the engineer's visit will be a week or two later if we signed up on-line, instead of on the phone.  

The problem is that the Virgin Media operator made a mistake with the name of the account holder.  My husband name is RXXXXXD JXXXXY AXXXXX.  The name recorded by the virgin operator was RXXXXXD JXXXXE .  It is even not the correct first and middle names of his, but the operator managed to make up a wrong family name JXXXXE.  Since this is clearly incorrect, we asked to correct it.  But we were told that it cannot be done through the phone, and that the only way is to fill in and send the form for 'account name change'.  Although this form is supposed to be used when your name has changed, we had no option other than following the instruction.  We at least explained in the email text why we were sending the form.

Then, in the reply we received the day after, it says

------

Thanks for getting in touch about changing your name on your account.
It's easy to do, we just need you to send us a signed copy of your birth or deed poll certificate, so we have all the details of your name change. Please e-mail us the document in PDF format.

-----

Clearly the person who replied did not read our explanation (otherwise there should not be any mention to deed poll).  It was this morning at 7:08am.  We sent a reply at 8:58am to explain even more in detail that this is not about the name change, it was nothing to do with our change or fault, we just have to get the name correct SIMPLY because of the problem caused by the virgin operator.  After 12 hours (9pm now), no response has been received yet. 

So, WHY is it necessary for providing a birth certificate to only correct the mistake of Virgin Media?  A birth certificate is certainly not a requirement when a new customer sign up the new service.  It is not fair that a customer has to suffer this trouble and to be asked to provide such an important document just because of the MISTAKE MADE BY VIRGIN MEDIA.  

In addition to the mistake with the name for the account, the Virgin Media operator even made a mistake with the email address provided on the phone.  Because of this serious mistake, we did not receive any documentation, contract or welcome message etc. at all until we noticed something must have been wrong.  We finally found out this mistake on 20 July and managed to get a copy of the contract.  And when we received it we were shocked to find the incorrect name.  We had no idea a mistake was made about the account name.  Because of this delay, and further delay caused by slow responses to our queries to how to correct the account name, the 14-day cancellation period has already elapsed.  I have to say this series of unreliable operations of Virgin Media has been absolutely disappointing.  It is hard to believe this is really what Virgin Media force your customers to go through.  It must be possible for you to correct your own mistakes.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: CORRECTING the name for a newly opened account (NOT changing)

Hi ries

I am sorry to hear the name has not been loaded correctly on the account.

This is classed as a major name change as it has been incorrectly logged and my apologies about this.

To request this to be updated we would need to send a form to you.

If you can pop back to me on the PM I am sending to you and ask your husband to respond to me via the Pm I can link with him to send this to you for us to change this.

You can find this on the top right hand side in the purple envelope.

Thanks again.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

hurcan
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen we have the same problem here. Just sent you a PM about it. It would be great if you can check it.

best regards
Hurcan
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi hurcan

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I can see the PM you have sent but I do need more information so I've sent a PM back to you and if you can look out for this on the forums on the top right in the purple envelope that would be great.

You can reply there and then we can look at supporting further.

Many thanks

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos