Menu
DevV
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

CISAS and Early Disconnection Fees

I have been with Virgin Media for years and been satisfied with the service I been getting until recently. I have 200mb broadband and other broadband providers may not be able to offer that sort of speed, but what good is the speed when connectivity of Ethernet and WIFI is so poor in the house and you're faced with equally poor customer service to fix the problem. Ofcom may have put much-needed rules about broadband speeds that providers need to deliver based on what they are advertising, now they need to get a grip on the quality of connectivity of Ethernet and WIFI that the provider has to offer, this means providing a stable internet connection where devices in the home are not dropping internet connection intermittently.

I have seen friends and family who were with Virgin Media move over to other providers and at that time I thought they were crazy as no one could match the superfast broadband speed that Virgin Media offers. Now I know why they shopped around.

In the last month, I have installed a new Superhub 3.0 router to replace the old 3.0, had 3 engineer visits, new fibre cable installed from the street and numerous telephone calls with the technical support team and I still have the same issue of intermittent Ethernet, WIFI and internet connection to devices. In my recent telephone call with Technical support, they decided to send me a new superhub 3.0 hud which the tech team believes would solve the problem. With all this happening Virgin Media technical support still, believe everything is fine at there end.  I hope the new Hub will solve the issue, but I am not convinced.

You only have to read this forum and see that every day there is a new post about this issue of intermittent connectivity. Not saying other broadband providers don’t have similar issues, but Virgin Media seems like they no longer care about customer satisfaction, which is true in my case as the complaints I made to customer services and the Resolver website run by Money Supermarket all seem to fall on deaf ears. I even messaged Resolver customer services asking if they are just a glossy gimmick and if they even send my messages to Virgin Media. They wrote back and assured me they do send them.

When asking Virgin Media technical team to speak to their supervisor or manager because you're fed up of hearing the same old reboot and factory default of the Hub, you may suddenly find you get cut off and having to call back waiting in long queue again. In the end, you just give up making that call.

I have started to shop around for a new ISP, not really looking at the speed this time, as I know it will not even come close to Virgin Media, but more interested in the quality of connection they can provide and customer services. I have joined a forum of one I am interested in to see what the frequent issues their customers are reporting before I commit to signing up.

The problem is I am under a 12-month contract with Virgin media until 8th April 2020 and contemplating terminating the contract because of the issues I am having and the lack of urgency and understanding of VM to solve the issue. I have spent far too much time on calls with them, writing messages, taking time off work for Engineer to visit and still paying the monthly instalment when I don’t even have the internet at times. I am having to use my mobile phone tethered or as a hot spot as it provides a more reliable connection, my family has also started doing the same, but this means we have limited the use of the internet for email messages only. A friend suggested using an Ombudsman, but I still have another month before I can escalate the case to CISAS, that’s another month of putting up with poor internet. Which would be really frustrating (If the new hub does not work). Even if I do escalate the case I am not sure what evidence I could present as Virgin Media keep saying everything is fine at there end, despite all the work they have already done. The only evidence I could provide is screenshots of devices showing WIFI connected but no internet, which I am sure wouldn’t be sufficient.

Question 1: Has anyone terminated their residential services contract and what was their experience?- Would VM let the customer walk away without paying the early disconnection fees if after sending three engineers, installing new cable, installing new Hubs all within a month which demonstrated they clearly can’t solve the issue, even though the repeatedly say everything is fine at there end?

Question 2: Has anyone been successful with CISAS/Ombudsman when experiencing similar issues as mines and what evidence did you collect and provide? I suspect this question won't be answered as those successful are probably long gone from membership of this forum, enjoying internet bliss elsewhere.

Any comments and advice would be helpful.

Regards.

Dev

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: CISAS and Early Disconnection Fees

a lot to read and to be honest i got a bit lost but i you should have a get out of jail card in the near future - theres a price increase coming - not sure when but there are posts on here saying users have a letter - once you get that you can leave with no termination fees 

Tony
0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'd echo what -Tony- has said except I'd recommend you call and ask if your in your cancelation period - as its possible you haven't had the letter/email (it may have not been delivered etc). If your not in it yet - you may be soon.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

When/if you get the email/letter about the price rises, it will give a link to this page for info about it  https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/campaigns/your-broadband?buspart=uk_em_cus_cab_value-2019_pr

To give you an idea on how long the cancellation period is, I received my email on the 10th July and my end date for getting out free is 14th August.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos