cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband only

JOC3
Tuning in

Want broadband only as do not need TV as all channels in current package are accessible via internet apps.  Been trying to get through to Virgin for over 2 days, passed from pillar to post.  I'm in my 15th year with them at this address.  Does anyone else just have broadband only as I can only find new Customer deals online approx £24 per month?  Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@JOC3 wrote:

Want broadband only as do not need TV as all channels in current package are accessible via internet apps.  Been trying to get through to Virgin for over 2 days, passed from pillar to post.  I'm in my 15th year with them at this address.  Does anyone else just have broadband only as I can only find new Customer deals online approx £24 per month?  Thanks

Have attempted the same thing myself this morning. Have you tried the default advice to ring dead on 08:00 when the lines open? I rang at 08:00 on the dot and got straight through to a UK/Ireland agent who was helpful.

I was seeking to change BB/phone into BB only. Got nowhere on the BB only route. Was offered £44 (the default ongoing price for M100). Was offered a package of BB/phone which was almost acceptable but not quite good enough. I have just ordered BT FTTP this morning and will overlap with VM before cancelling VM.

If you are looking at BB only what other options do you have? VM seem to have little/no interest in providing BB only.

If you are thinking of changing supplier right now though, factor in that the headline prices that the likes of BT/EE/Plusnet are advertising now will be subject to a price increase of CPI+3.9% come March so the amount p.m. you sign up for now will instantly increase in a month's time.

Have you also checked on the Openreach rollout for FTTP in your area for any future options there?

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

Thank you. Feel like existing Customers get a raw deal. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@JOC3 wrote:

Thank you. Feel like existing Customers get a raw deal. 

It's all relative and the benefits for new customer deals compared to existing customers are just as applicable to other providers. If you move to another supplier you will benefit from being a new customer.

Have another go at phoning VM at 08:00 sharp and see if you can get through more easily to a UK agent. Before doing so though, do some research on what other providers can offer so you are armed with some relevant costs to compare against whatever VM may offer. Look at the small print of any new deal too and see what other costs may have to be factored in such as installation, activation, P&P etc.

The guy I spoke to this morning was actually helpful and did come up with a price that was pretty close to what the competition was offering but it was locked into the combo package of BB and phone. The landline is of little use to me now and will become even less useful once it is converted to a 21CV connection from the hub later in the year.

If you are wanting to be a BB-only customer, then you are in a good position to switch to another provider as long as speed is not an overriding consideration for you. The above only works though if you are actually prepared to leave VM (and, of course, can actually get to speak to someone at VM about your package!).

Hi JOC3,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. It's disappointing to hear like you're getting a raw deal from us.

As with all providers we do offer introductory offers to new customers. At the start of all of our customer’s time with us, they would have benefited from such a deal. Once this expires, we'll always do all we can to offer the best existing customer deal available.
Our team will always offer you the best existing customer deal available at that time including any promotions. These deals do change regularly so a more suitable deal and price may become available in the future. 

You can check existing customer deals here.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Not strictly true . Existing customers who have been with you for at least 10 years, say, never had the benefit of a new customer discount. I have been a customer for 23/24 years - have never been offered any special offers - and can remember when renewing the service was an ethical practice and totally open.

My contract is up in three months and cannot wait. I really think VM has to start realising its glory days are over now.

Hi @Jomodu,

It's a shame to hear that you feel this way. As my colleague has advised, we would provide an introductory offer to all customers when they first join Virgin Media.

We have a great range of offers available to existing customers. If you would like to look at what we can do for you, please contact us and a member of our team will be able to make sure we get you everything you need.

You can find and access all of our available contact options, including live chat, here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi….thanks for response. I can only repeat what I wrote in my first sentence.  It is only in the past 10 years approx that new customers have been offered a highly discounted price to “normal”. Up to then the price each year was similar (the same) whether you were a new or repeating ie renewing customer. 

I accept your company’s marketing strategy and agree that often many customers renewing can forget they benefitted from a discounted price/offer in their first 12/18 month contract.

All I was pointing out was that it is incorrect that all existing customers have received their first contract at a discounted price at some time in the past. Those who have been with you for longer that 10 years say  never had that initial saving. 

But there will come a time when new customer numbers become far less than departing ones.