Highlighted
Icemen
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband costs

Hey peepz

First post so hello to 1 and all.

Quick question, just want to get a feel of what people are paying for broadband.  I know virgin charge what they can and there is no consistency.  Ive been a virgin media long time customer but only with beoadband.  Currently paying £35 quid for vivid 200. My contract is due this month or next i think.  Any1 gotany good haggling tips as i know friends who are paying less for vivid 350.  Shall i speak with retentions team?

Also i have some wifi black spots in the house but dont i should have topay more for wifi extenders? Any thoughts 

Thanks

Ice 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband costs

Hey Ice.

Welcome to the community lovely 😊

The prices can vary depending on the offers people gave been given by departments like retentions if they have spoken to them.

Retentions offers change regularly do what's available one week may change the next and so times they are only available on daily sales or flash sales.

Speak to retentions re this on 150 or 0345 454 1111, via option 4 then 5.

Re the powerline adaptors, the only option VM now has is providing them via a monthly subscription fee.

You can pick up extenders for about 20 to 40 quid. Some of the more techy guys here can suggest best makes etc but I've always found Netgear ones decent.

Hope this helps 😉

Kaz

Ex VM employee. Just here to help Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Icemen wrote:

Also i have some wifi black spots in the house but dont i should have topay more for wifi extenders? Any thoughts 

If you are looking for wireless extenders then here are some powerline adapter reviews:
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

Another option to improve your wireless is with a third party router.  It is what I and many other customers do and it can make a huge difference.  Prices range from around £30 to several hundred pounds.  I'm a Netgear fan and have been happily using their routers, switches, adapters etc for years, but others on here will recommend other makes.  Everyone has different budgets and needs, so if you decide to go this route my advice is look at the reviews on Amazon to try and find one that is right for you.  AFAIK nobody has ever posted on this forum that they regretted getting their own router.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Icemen
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks scott which router would you recommend? Netgear or asus the one that looks like a spider?  Obviously got to be better then the vm hub 3.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Like recommending a lot of things it is difficult without knowing your circumstances, budget and needs other than better wireless.

To get something better than the Hub 3 isn't too difficult.  Look for a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports and AC wireless and maybe one with external antennas.

The one I have, the Netgear R7000, was the first one I bought with external antennas and it gave me a stronger signal in the extension at the back of my house.  This was in comparison to my previous Netgear router not the VM hub.  I have never used any VM hubs for my wireless needs.  The R7000 has been superseded by a few newer Netgear routers but it has served me well for over 4 years and is still being sold by Netgear so can't be obsolete yet Smiley Happy 

Can't comment on any Asus stuff as I have never owned any.

Some router reviews here:

https://uk.pcmag.com/g00/routers/8151/the-best-wireless-routers?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6L...

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Icemen
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

thanks  R7800 has quite good reviews.

Do I just turn vm hub 3 into modem mode & connect netgear R7800 to it.  then connect all wired connection via the R7800.  

Also wanted to know what people are paying for vivid 200 or 350? is anything below what i'm currently paying £35 good? or can I haggle them to a better price? or is it dependant on the time you call & the offer currently on the table.

I like bartering with the market traders in a foreign country lol

0 Kudos