Menu
GaelicJane
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Bill payment DD taken after contract end

My contract for broadband ended 7th July. after the appropriate month's notice period  But the usual DD payment was taken on 11th July for the period of 12th July-12th August or a service that I no longer have... I have subsequently cancelled my DD so it couldn't happen again.  I have contacted customer service to request immediate repayment but was told I would have to wait and that it would be by cheque.  I have tried endlessly to get through on the phone again but give up after 8 mins of sitting listening to horrid loud music.  I was a customer of 9 years standing. Surely it's not legal for payment to be taken when you are no longer a customer and don't have an active contract?  Have others experienced this as t's not great customer service to not pay up now promptly?  How do I take this further as I'm going to approach the ombudsman soon if nothing appears.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bill payment DD taken after contract end

VMs accounting systems seem to live in the land of “quill pen and high stool” era. Never seem to have heard of payments direct back to a bank account.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi GaelicJane

I appreciate you getting in touch with us and welcome to the forums.

If your services have disconnected and you have a final credit balance that is more than the amount debited by the DD on that date, we would refund this in cheque format. The banks can only refund the exact amount you paid via DD which is why we use the cheque system.

If you needed that money back more expeditiously you can raise an indemnity claim against that transaction via your bank and the money will be returned in the subsequent 2 working days as a general rule.

If the account has been generated with a final bill which I can see yours has, you would receive a refund cheque once the account has been closed for 35 days, and this date is coming up soon for you, with the full final balance credited so please bear this in mind if you do decide to do an indemnity as this may not process before the refund cheque does.

This is processed and sent to you within 10 working days of the account being closed for 35 days.

Kind regrads

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Quote “The banks can only refund the exact amount you paid via DD which is why we use the cheque system.”

This is not strictly true, VM hold the customers bank details and they can send any amount through the direct payments system.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos