Menu
Highlighted
ColdCallScam
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Being taken for a ride?

Due to my monthly bill virtually doubling over the past 4 months I have phoned Virgin to cancel my package this morning.  They inform me I can’t do this at present without paying a £175 penalty as I am on a contract until July 2019.

This apparently is because in July this year I received a cold call from their sales team offering me a £5 a month additional film channel package as I was such a loyal customer (been with them 18 yrs).  During this call I was told I can cancel this additional charge at anytime and no mention was made by Virgin that by taking up this offer I would be starting a new 12 month contract.  I agreed to this based on what  I was told during that call.

I was told this morning that the new contract was emailed to me in July.  I only have two email addresses and I am absolutely certain I never received this email from them.  When I log into my account my only contract shown is dated from 2016 and has long since expired.  Virgin also stated they would resend the 2018 contract to me this morning which several hours later they have failed to do.

My question is can they lawfully enforce a contract I have never seen, signed or been made aware of?  

Also a warning to other Virgin customers out there - beware the shady, underhand and morally reprehensible sales callers who sell products under false pretences. 

SHAME ON YOU VIRGIN

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Being taken for a ride?

The Virgin Media forum team will take a few days, or more given the time of year, to work through to your post. Whilst you wait consider whether any of the following are appropriate:

• contact Citizens Advice to understand your rights and whether continued use of a service can be considered acceptance of a new contract of which you had no knowledge;  FYI, Terms and Conditions
  • request the notes and audio recording of the call but be aware that not all calls are recorded and, those that are, are only kept for a 180 days. To make the request send an email to dpo@virginmedia.co.uk, read more here, Privacy Policy
  • take a screenshot and download the contract as shown currently online
  • make a complaint to Virgin Media
  • consider making Ofcom aware of the issue by filling in their monitoring form
0 Kudos
ColdCallScam
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Many thanks for your reply and the useful links you have provided, much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ColdCallScam, 

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Community 🙂 

Apologies to hear about this. When you are called from the Outbound teams, it's usually to offer you a new deal or an add on to your existing deal. With Movies, whilst you can cancel this giving 30 days notice, a new contract is usually discussed. 

I can only apologise if you didn't see the email with the new contract. Sometimes depending on your Spam Filters it may have gone into a Junk folder. 

We wouldn't be able to do anything via the Community but speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 to see if there is anything else we can do. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ColdCallScam
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah the good old textbook junk folder excuse.

If that is the case then please answer the following:

Why have your company been unable to resend this “dodgy” contract to me despite promising they would?

Why is not showing on my account when I log in?

Why are you unable to send me or access a copy of the telephone call from July 2018 that would prove no mention of a contract was made by your staff member?

How many other thousands of your loyal customers have fallen for this immoral practice?  A quick search of Google reveals several similar sounding complaints.

Draw your own conclusions folks!

Mugged_Off
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes similar experience here.

Virgin are very well geared up to adding on new services to your package but make it almost impossible to reduce or cancel your monthly commitments.

Had a nightmare experience this afternoon in trying to get through to various departments to advise I wanted to initially reduce, and ultimately cancel my commitments. Eventually ended when the operator advised I had failed the password security test that I had gone through, and passed, with one of the previous operators. Advised I would need to start the call again, after being on hold for a total of over an hour.

Still, made me feel better when I read the article below...………

https://metro.co.uk/2016/08/22/guy-live-tweets-wifes-four-hour-mission-to-cancel-virgin-media-contra...

Sounds as though from the excuses being given that it's Company policy to make life difficult/impossible for anyone thinking of terminating ther contract
ColdCallScam
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mugged_Off

Thanks for the link to the article - really funny; they are non listening, obstructive legends when you are trying to convince them you have been unfairly treated on the phone.

Just an update on my situation - Thanks to the online complaint link provided by the first reply I have registered an online complaint to  Virgin (by the way try finding this complaint link yourself on Virgin’s websites, hidden away like the proverbial needle in a haystack).

In fairness to Virgin I then received a phone call a few days later where we agreed on an acceptable lower monthly payment, in return for me dropping a few tv channels I never watch and having a slower broadband speed.  I have to give 30 days notice for this to come into effect, but better than being tied in to an expensive package until next July.  The guy deliberately chose to avoid the issue of the imaginary contract from this July, but he has sent me the new lower price agreement by email and it also shows when I log into my account (they can do it when they try!).

All sorted, all so I hoped!  

Yesterday morning I received a letter in the post from Virgin thanking me for taking out their 12 month Line Rental Saver, telling me they have successfully received my debit card payment of £196!  This letter is dated the 21/12/18 which is when I first contacted them  to try to reduce my payments.  As this phone call turned into an argument when they first informed me about the imaginary July contract and massive cancellation fee I can’t quite see how, why or when I agreed to pay an additional £196 to them, let alone give them permission to take a payment from my card. (I have checked my bank accounts and at the moment no payment has been taken, so I assume this is another balls up by them).

You really couldn’t make this stuff up; let’s watch this space to see what their next display of ineptness will be. 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Check your forthcoming bill to see if LRS is shown on it.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos