cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for 3 extra boxes for over 3years

Hev63
Tuning in

My subscription originally had 3 extra boxes upstairs when my now adult kids lived at home.  I've tried and been told on many occasions that they were removed yet today's bill came in and they are still on.  None of these boxes are plugged in! £28.50 a month I've been paying,  I just want to get a refund and cancel all services, I'm not even in a contract!  I just keep being told there removed.  Any advice out there... please 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Just because they aren't plugged in makes no odds to VM - if you've still got them, VM will charge you.

When did you first try to get these removed from your account?  If you gave clear instructions and VM's agents failed to process them, then you are reasonably entitled to a refund from that data, and compensation for the fact that the company failed to deal with this despite the repeated contacts to which you refer.  Let's put a value of £100 on the compensation, and then however many months at £28.50 a month.  What does that add up to?

Next up, would you stay if VM arranged to collect the boxes, and paid compensation?  If the answer is yes, then forum staff have one chance to get this right and arrange a settlement as above.  I'll flag this for forum staff to take a look and see if they can assist.  Anything less than generous and consider the steps below.

If the answer is no, you've had enough and want to cancel, then so long as you're not in a fixed term discounted contract raise a formal complaint now (there's an online form in My Virgin Media), asking for both the settlement above and cancellation of all services within 30 days, and request that all communication about this is by post, not email or phone.  Keep a copy of the responses you'll get, and dial your expectations down to "a response so poor that it is an insult".  This is not in the hope of VM settling because complaint handling is very poor, but it is a requirement before taking the matter to the industry complaints scheme CISAS.  Potentially VM will do half of this (the cancellation) but not offer a settlement, sometimes they'll do neither.  Sometimes the complaints just disappear.

If you get a great response, all well and good.  If you get completely fobbed off, or only a partial settlement, then respond to the "resolution" by asking for a deadlock letter, which you then use to formally escalate the matter to CISAS (without a deadlock letter you can still use CISAS, but have to wait eight weeks from the initial complaint).  If taking the matter to CISAS, explain in as much detail as you can the background to complaint, your attempts to resolve it, and the outcome you now want. If you have to take the matter to CISAS, then also do a short summary complaint to Ofcom - they don't get involved, but they'll pressure VM on any poor complaint handling.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Just because they aren't plugged in makes no odds to VM - if you've still got them, VM will charge you.

When did you first try to get these removed from your account?  If you gave clear instructions and VM's agents failed to process them, then you are reasonably entitled to a refund from that data, and compensation for the fact that the company failed to deal with this despite the repeated contacts to which you refer.  Let's put a value of £100 on the compensation, and then however many months at £28.50 a month.  What does that add up to?

Next up, would you stay if VM arranged to collect the boxes, and paid compensation?  If the answer is yes, then forum staff have one chance to get this right and arrange a settlement as above.  I'll flag this for forum staff to take a look and see if they can assist.  Anything less than generous and consider the steps below.

If the answer is no, you've had enough and want to cancel, then so long as you're not in a fixed term discounted contract raise a formal complaint now (there's an online form in My Virgin Media), asking for both the settlement above and cancellation of all services within 30 days, and request that all communication about this is by post, not email or phone.  Keep a copy of the responses you'll get, and dial your expectations down to "a response so poor that it is an insult".  This is not in the hope of VM settling because complaint handling is very poor, but it is a requirement before taking the matter to the industry complaints scheme CISAS.  Potentially VM will do half of this (the cancellation) but not offer a settlement, sometimes they'll do neither.  Sometimes the complaints just disappear.

If you get a great response, all well and good.  If you get completely fobbed off, or only a partial settlement, then respond to the "resolution" by asking for a deadlock letter, which you then use to formally escalate the matter to CISAS (without a deadlock letter you can still use CISAS, but have to wait eight weeks from the initial complaint).  If taking the matter to CISAS, explain in as much detail as you can the background to complaint, your attempts to resolve it, and the outcome you now want. If you have to take the matter to CISAS, then also do a short summary complaint to Ofcom - they don't get involved, but they'll pressure VM on any poor complaint handling.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Hev63

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm so sorry to hear about your issue, I am going to drop you a private message now so we can investigate this further.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for replying,  you were very helpful unlike vm. Had a private message asking for acc num password etc. 

Low and behold authentication failed.  I looked at my call logs and bits I'd jotted down.  I was wrong about price.  It's £23.50 a month I've been paying. I have a date in July last year which I was told she found original cancel conversion in logs, 30 months previous to then. So 38 months ago I've been trying to cancel.  Vm happy to add things onto account as July last year was when I ordered a wifi booster and someone to come and fix telephone line,  

I've just looked at one of the boxes... its a cisco,  in the spare room.  Don't think that's been used since 2013!