cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Compensation Scheme - Time Frame

Adam91
Tuning in

Hi,

I'm hoping someone could give me some insight on when you should recieve compensation from the Auto Scheme..

I had booked an initial broadband install date for the 3rd January when booking online. This was rescheduled to the 16th of January, but then subsequently delayed until my actual install on the 1st March.

I'm due a fair few days worth of compensation but haven't received any credit to my account yet - so should this have been sorted by now? Or is it a longer process?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should be credited within 30 calendar days of your service being activated.

However, since you have not (presumably) been credited, it is likely that VM will attempt to avoid paying (or reduce any payment due) by a range of different excuses.

One which has been mentioned a few times on here is the 'provisional' installation date.

Check back through your comm's and appointments with VM and check for this.

Other excuses include 'waiting for council permits'.

Have you made any contact so far with VM to find out about any compensation due and why you have not received anything?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should be credited within 30 calendar days of your service being activated.

However, since you have not (presumably) been credited, it is likely that VM will attempt to avoid paying (or reduce any payment due) by a range of different excuses.

One which has been mentioned a few times on here is the 'provisional' installation date.

Check back through your comm's and appointments with VM and check for this.

Other excuses include 'waiting for council permits'.

Have you made any contact so far with VM to find out about any compensation due and why you have not received anything?

Thanks for the response -

I've not as of yet.. I was looking for a live chat feature to try and get the ball rolling and save waiting around on the phone. But thought best to see if i was missing some info that might tell me VM had something ridiculous like 6 months to apply the credit. I'll have to try calling them as they've missed that 30 days.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You can certainly try enquiring by phone. However, depending on which part of the world your call is connected to, and the knowledge of the person on the other end of the line, you may not get information which is accurate or correct regarding the compensation scheme. It would, however, start the ball rolling.

The VM forum team will reply here within a few days and may offer to help you.

If you read this topic below, just by way of a recent example, you will see that getting the appropriate compensation is possible but not necessarily easy and may require opening a case with Ombudsman Services to get whatever you might be due.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Compensation-advice-please/m-p/5326587

Hi @Adam91 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

Sorry to hear you experienced delays with your installation and have not yet heard back regarding auto-compensation. We want to do our best to help. To best look into this issue, I have sent you a private message. Please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Adam91
Tuning in

Update on topic:

• VM are claiming that the first install date when I booked online doesn't count (03/01/23)
  • VM are acknowledging a delayed install between the dates 16/01 - 01/03
  • VM are claiming that 'As there was only one delay on a 2-man install (where the date would’ve been provisional to allow for a delay in construction) then no compensation is awarded. For a 2-man install, we only compensate after the first delay.'

Have responded and hoping they do the right thing but prepared to have to go through the ombudsman for this...

Hi Adam91 👋 thank you for returning to the public thread to keep it updated! 

My colleague Akua is offering support with this via PM and will continue to do so as soon as they are available. Please do be aware that the forum as is sadly not an instant response service and response times can vary depending on staff working hours and availability. 

We appreciate your patience whilst we get things sorted! Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Adam91 wrote:

Update on topic:

• VM are claiming that the first install date when I booked online doesn't count (03/01/23)
  • VM are acknowledging a delayed install between the dates 16/01 - 01/03
  • VM are claiming that 'As there was only one delay on a 2-man install (where the date would’ve been provisional to allow for a delay in construction) then no compensation is awarded. For a 2-man install, we only compensate after the first delay.'

Have responded and hoping they do the right thing but prepared to have to go through the ombudsman for this...

VM has invented this idea of a 'provisional' installation date / '2-man install'. Its aim is to avoid paying out full compensation due VM's delays and general bungling of installations.

The OFCOM minimum requirements (para 9)

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

refer to the 'date initially confirmed in writing'. The word 'provisional' does not appear in the OFCOM document anywhere.

Were you, anywhere along the line, advised the first installation date was only 'provisional'?

In the topic linked two posts above

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Compensation-advice-please/m-p/5326587

the OP had sufficient evidence to show the 'provisional' claim was irrelevant and they won their case.

In this topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Compensation-awarded-by-CISAS-after-faile...

the OP also won full compensation as VM did not advise the date was provisional.

If the disputed days are from 3/1/23 and 16/1/23 (13 days @ £5.25 = £68.25) then IMHO you should press on with your escalation to arbitration.

The amount in dispute will likely be significantly less than the cost to VM in arbitration fees. It costs you nothing other than time/effort but evidence, set out in a clear, understandable timeline of events, seems key to a successful claim via Ombudsman Services.

Good luck with getting the full amount you might be entitled to!

Thanks for all the information and help - to clarify the dates are 3rd Jan - 16th March from when it was actually installed. So 56 days @ £5.25 = £294

I've got all the documentation and details ready to should they not pay up to take it further... I'll keep the thread updated with any important details should they be helpful for anyone else.

Thank you for updating the thread @Adam91 

Our team will aim to get in contact with you as soon as possible to discuss your case.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs