cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asked to disconnect - they "renewed" me instead.

Skot4th
On our wavelength

For the past several weeks I've been trying to disconnect my services due to having faulty hardware.

About 5 weeks ago I told virgin I wanted to disconnect due to the modem not working and me being unable to wait for an engineer.  At the time they said they would quickstart a router which would take 10 days.  

Three weeks later I called up to be told that the router couldn't be sent and after spending 30 minutes on hold to retentions I was thrown blindly to faults, probably as it was 5 minutes to the end of the retention advisors shift, who then repeated that I needed an engineer - they very reason I was cancelling as I cannot wait around for one due to work.

The next day (16th Nov) I call back and speak to another advisor who tells me they can quick start a new modem out, and that it would be next working day.  They kept on asking if they could renew my package on a new deal, which I kept on responding no, saying I wanted to make sure the modem turned up first.  After three or four attempts they agreed and said they would call back on the day the modem arrived to discuss further.

The modem arrived a couple of days back, but their call never happened.  I therefore called tonight to discuss retention options (possibly adding TV to my account which is currently with Sky).  After speaking with someone who very clearly did not understand the situation I was trying to describe  (language barrier clearly existed) I have now been told that instead of disconnecting my service, they infact renewed my service on my old package - at what price I have no idea - and that I am now in a new contract.

This strikes me as not only being unethical, but also a breach of GDPR due to Virgin not keeping accurate records.

What is the best option moving forward in order to either disconnect (now probably more likely) or if not move other services to Virgin even though there's a breakdown of trust.

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

See this post.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Skot4th,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear there's been some confusion regarding your package. 

We wouldn't generally send out new equipment if the account is due to be disconnected. So I can take a closer look at this for you I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm