cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Virgin trying to lose customers? New contract "offer" through the roof. Where next?

gcfalco
On our wavelength

My contract is coming to an end in a couple of weeks. I currently pay £111. This was reduced from £146 due to 2 "special discounts" which are apparently now ending.

They've just written to me saying my new bill is now the full £146 (plus in due course the 3.9% + inflation). But they also said their "best deal" for me is £160/month!!!

First Q: I've not agreed any new contract with them. How long will the £146 "offer" be available or will they try to move me to their "best" deal at £160? 

As someone on a pension, finding another £600/yr is not on. Second Q: Is it worth trying their retentions team for a better deal or can I get a better deal elsewhere? (as for customer loyalty - I shan't use the words here I was thinking about how Virgin are handling this!).

Q3: If I moved, can I keep my Virgin email addresses?

Finally, if I try retentions, how do I get to talk to someone UK based. The last time my contract was up I got someone in a far eastern call centre who screamed at me down the line when I wouldn't buy some sort of PC repair insurance - I did complain for the good it did me. I have spoken to some really clued-up people at Virgin in the past - how do I get them on the end of the phone line?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @gcfalco 

Regardless of the price increase email you do have the right to cancel due to the upcoming end of your current minimum contract. It's actually ideal to contact VM when within the last 30 days of the  minimum contract period to either negotiate a new deal or cancel. If you wait until the end of yuor minimum period and then palce 30 days notice you will be paying full price during that period.

"saying my new bill is now the full £146 (plus in due course the 3.9% + inflation). "

The full bill price is effective from the date your current discounts end.

This "full bill price", is the non discounted you would have been paying for your package,  and will be increased due to the price rise on either April or May 1st - the date that takes effect will be indicated on your email detailing the price increase from VM

"But they also said their "best deal" for me is £160/month!!!"

That would be the price of a package comparable to your current package (after the price increases) without any discounts.

If you leave VM then your VM email address(es) should be closed 90 days after your leaving date.

All calls go through the same IVR system which passes the call to the first available agent, irrespective of where they are located.

I'm afraid there isn't a direct line to UK agents, however there is more likelihood of speaking to a UK agent if calling around 8am when lines first open and are least busy. 

When calling select option 4 (thinking of leaving us) which is Retentions, they are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents.

Do your homework first and price up similar deals with other providers. Also determine what you actually need from VM.  Do you need the current level of speed?  Also look at if  you need a new mobile sim. VM now have the Volt packages which  double your data and broadband speed, so it might be worthwhile taking out a lower broadband speed on a Volt bundle which would double your broadband speed .

Hopefully you can then negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract. Or failing that you can place your cancellation with that team.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Gcfalco, 

There will be a Right To Cancel for all impacted customers, who can choose to cancel their contract within 30 days from receipt of their communication. Customers will not incur early disconnection fees if requesting their cancellation within this 30 day period. 

Every customer will receive an individual price rise specific to them. If you wish to discuss your increase further, you can reach us online, by calling 150 from your Virgin Media landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

gcfalco
On our wavelength

Hi Megan,

Thanks for the response. Don't I already have the right to cancel regardless as the term of the contract will - within days - have expired?

My question was as someone who can walk away now, is it likely Virgin will further increase my bill again to the "best offer" of £160?

And thanks for the contact details but my question was how do I get through to the UK based retentions team? 

And last, if I leave Virgin can I keep my existing email address?

Thanks!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @gcfalco 

Regardless of the price increase email you do have the right to cancel due to the upcoming end of your current minimum contract. It's actually ideal to contact VM when within the last 30 days of the  minimum contract period to either negotiate a new deal or cancel. If you wait until the end of yuor minimum period and then palce 30 days notice you will be paying full price during that period.

"saying my new bill is now the full £146 (plus in due course the 3.9% + inflation). "

The full bill price is effective from the date your current discounts end.

This "full bill price", is the non discounted you would have been paying for your package,  and will be increased due to the price rise on either April or May 1st - the date that takes effect will be indicated on your email detailing the price increase from VM

"But they also said their "best deal" for me is £160/month!!!"

That would be the price of a package comparable to your current package (after the price increases) without any discounts.

If you leave VM then your VM email address(es) should be closed 90 days after your leaving date.

All calls go through the same IVR system which passes the call to the first available agent, irrespective of where they are located.

I'm afraid there isn't a direct line to UK agents, however there is more likelihood of speaking to a UK agent if calling around 8am when lines first open and are least busy. 

When calling select option 4 (thinking of leaving us) which is Retentions, they are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents.

Do your homework first and price up similar deals with other providers. Also determine what you actually need from VM.  Do you need the current level of speed?  Also look at if  you need a new mobile sim. VM now have the Volt packages which  double your data and broadband speed, so it might be worthwhile taking out a lower broadband speed on a Volt bundle which would double your broadband speed .

Hopefully you can then negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract. Or failing that you can place your cancellation with that team.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Koolmacher
Dialled in

Yes they are succeeding, I've cancelled today after being told my monthly bill for ultimate volt bundle is going up £27 per month. 

bhaskarsamani
Dialled in

Click the leaving us option, I was given £4.50 a month off for 12 months no new contract, I checked just to make sure they didn't mess up and start a new contract

If I didn't do anything my bill would go up from £21.90 a month to £30.90 a month 

cooltone
Tuning in

Have a look at what https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/787266 has to say. Best comentator I've seen.

My apologies @gcfalco 

There is no direct number to a UK retention agent, all of our customer service and retention agents will be able to support you further with your cancellation or package queries. 

Our emails require an active broadband service to remain live. As such, if you decide to cancel then you will lose all blueyonder, NTL and Virgin emails within 90 days of your disconnection date. 

We recommend setting up a client email to transferring all important emails to this to ensure you do not lose anything important to you. Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

A word of advice to everyone. NEVER use a provider's own email address. When you leave from say, being utterly cheesed off with being overcharged compared to new customers then you no longer have an email address that is functional. Virgin and all the others use this to retain customers as it's inconvenient to have to provide all your contacts with a new email address. Don't fall in to this trap people

RustyBristol
On our wavelength

If you actually cancel your contract, they will phone up begging you to stay and drop the price substantially. Everything they say up to that point is gambling on you actually putting up with their comical price hikes.