Menu
pigglypots
Joining in
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Any discounts available??

Hi, thanks for comments. AS you say likely need to 'suck it up' - but don't have TV, seems not possible to downgrade speed?? Anytime calls essential as I am a 24/7 carer and need to speak to all and sundry on a regular basis during office hours!! it's not easy I am also a pensioner and we are living off my friends benefit income....so doubly annoying to see all these new customers getting ridiculous deals - latest... Full bundle for £45 pm. hey ho, it is what it is - sad thing is I am very happy with Virgin, always have been but they seem to want to force the loyal customers away?? Well lately anyway!!

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@pigglypots wrote:

seems not possible to downgrade speed?? Anytime calls essential as I am a 24/7 carer and need to speak to all and sundry on a regular basis during office hours!! it's not easy I am also a pensioner and we are living off my friends benefit income....so doubly annoying to see all these new customers getting ridiculous deals - latest... Full bundle for £45 pm. hey ho, it is what it is - sad thing is I am very happy with Virgin, always have been but they seem to want to force the loyal customers away?? Well lately anyway!!

If you insist they can reduce speed and reduce bill by £5.  That's what happened to me in April 2019.

Might be worth getting a mobile phone with lots of minutes and not using the phone line.  Would save on the anytime calls. I get 1500 minutes for £6/month.

As for new customer deals, I find that calling and cancelling/downgrading as much as you can normally results in a call with equivalent or even better offers. I will call in in August when football season starts.  Last time around I got half price Sky Sports along with Full House TV + 200mb + anytime calls for less than £60/month which was better than the new customer deals at the time. 

Virgin will leave you on a package until you look like leaving and then you get the good offers.

0 Kudos
pigglypots
Joining in
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice...will keep trying, as for the mobile phone idea...maybe a non-starter as I have poor signal at home (only O2 and vodafone work)...going through my own problem with Three as they are ceasing their Three in Touch app - only way I could make and receive calls and texts!!...still have £40 credit with them!!

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@pigglypots wrote:

...as for the mobile phone idea...maybe a non-starter as I have poor signal at home (only O2 and vodafone work).

You could encourage everyone you know to get WhatsApp (or similar) and get free calls via WiFi or mobile data that way.  Not wholly practical but if 90% of your calls are to the same couple of people could save money.  I have stuck with the anytime calls as there are 4 in our house and despite having mobile contracts with over 1000 minutes, still pick up the phone to make calls.  If only I could block outgoing calls.

0 Kudos
pigglypots
Joining in
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your thoughts/help, wouldn't work!! lots of calls to aged mother!! Plus business stuff for caring etc. No worries, I will get there!!

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Even having paid the line rental saver, it could be cheaper to switch. Now TV have a £25/month offer with anytime calls and fibre broadband. Right now excluding line saver I pay £28/month but I get TV as well, so not worth it, but if you don’t have TV it may be.

0 Kudos
pigglypots
Joining in
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Looked into it..and we had a problem (now resolved!) no capacity on a fibre from Open Reach. So am considering it

Can get fast fibre and anytime calls for £30 p.m. 

Anyway calling VM one more time (and see if I can get a UK call agent...), apparently I still have discounts which they cannot match...but think I need to take the leap and move back into the BT fibre world which opens up a whole new world!!

0 Kudos