cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another tack on cancelling woes

malbin
Dialled in

Unlike a lot of other people I have actually managed to cancel my Virgin Media.

It was not really painful to cancel, just a bit like pull out a rotten tooth.

My gripe is, i know I must give 30 days notice, my billing date is 7th of month, I cancelled on the 10th the month and my contract finish's on 10th next month. I will be billed for my normal full monthly amount next month on the 7th, 3 days before I finally leave and will get a final bill and refund of any remaining amount after 65days.

Absolutely pathetic, they have 27 days to work out that I only need to pay for the 3 days that I will be in contract and produce a bill that will reflect this. This will mean they can keep £50 of my money for 2 extra months for which I will get nothing.

This is just typical of  the current virgin media business practices and I would not be surprised if I have to fight to get my money back after 65 days.

9 REPLIES 9

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi malbin

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're leaving us. The refund process is within 35 days, not 65. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Sorry I was wrong on the leaving email got it says 45 days not 65 days or 35 days.

The main point is they will be taking a full month's payment from my bank 3 days before the 30 days notice period end and they have had 27 days to sort my final bill out and they will keep the extra money for well over another month!

This is because we bill in advance. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

You can input your electricity & gas readings online and the energy company will instantly calculate your new account balance. OK the actual official bill may take a few days longer. Why can’t Virgin make cancellation adjustments more speedily? Outdated systems and no incentive to change them, that’s why.

Why, when Virgin knows you are leaving and have agreed a disconnection date is one billed for another month in advance? You should be billed only for the unbilled additional services you’ve consumed i.e. chargeable phone calls, TV pay per views etc. Why should you be billed and then refunded for the period beyond your cancellation date. I’ve read that some refunds don’t materialise.

Fact is, VM refund cancellations within the 14 day cooling off period back to the original payment source. With other cancellations they’re not able to, and more than likely don’t want to make refunds direct to bank but insist on cheque. This really isn’t good enough this day and age. With bank closures it’s becoming harder and more inconvenient to bank a cheque.

Of course, why would VM want to change this when some folk forget or not bother to bank the cheque, especially for smaller amounts? All those unbanked cheques must add up to a tidy sum for Virgin Media Payments Ltd!

You'll likely get no sympathy from the higher ups on this forum. Their remit is naturally to enforce the status quo. John_GS's latest, rather dismissive reply to you is indicative of this “. . . because we bill in advance”. For what? Me: "Oh I see - for services already cancelled”!!

Hi malbin thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear you're leaving us.  In regards to what is currently your final bill, to expand my colleague's response.  I am sorry, but the bills are automated and not manually calculated and until the disconnection order is completed we cannot be 100% certain a customer is definitely leaving us.  And you'd be surprised with how many of our customers change their minds at the last moment or have re-scheduled their disconnection at the last moment, therefore we do continue billing in advance until the disconnection has fully processed. I am genuinely sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Regards

Lee_R

But why issue cheques and not bank transfer, they don't like cheques and want you to pay by bank transfer, so why not refund any final amounts by bank transfer. My bank is over 10 miles and a couple of town away.

I am sorry @malbin

I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R

I've taken a quick look at other providers refund policies.

With Talk Talk, if my understanding is correct, the customer has to make a claim for any refund. If no claim is received within 12 months Talk Talk keep the credit account balance. Unbelievable!!

BT on the other hand refund to the method you've made payment by within 14 days.

I accept Lee_R's explanation for the advanced billing cos customers may change their mind and thank him for expanding on his colleague's post. This gives rise to a further question which I'll post on a new thread.