cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Dispute Resolution

ianroberts
Tuning in

I currently have an ongoing complaint open around a number of billing issues and misinformation.

I have not yet reached 8 weeks without a resolution however it is seeming increasingly likely I will refer the case to an ADR.

I see the Complaints Code of Practice lists Virgin Media as members of both CISAS and the Financial Ombudsman however it is not clear which I would use for a billing issue.

Is anyone able to confirm?

10 REPLIES 10

jem101
Superstar

I really don't think that Virgin Media would have anything to do with the Financial Ombudsman service, Virgin Money, yes!

You need to refer it to CISAS.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ianroberts wrote:

I currently have an ongoing complaint open around a number of billing issues and misinformation.

I have not yet reached 8 weeks without a resolution however it is seeming increasingly likely I will refer the case to an ADR.

I see the Complaints Code of Practice lists Virgin Media as members of both CISAS and the Financial Ombudsman however it is not clear which I would use for a billing issue.

Is anyone able to confirm?

Can't give you the answer but both have helplines you could consult on the specifics of your case and how/if they can be dealt with by each organisation

https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/complainnow/

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact-us

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Ianroberts,

Thanks for using the forums to get more information about our independent adjudicators for your ongoing complaint.

I am sorry that you've had to create a complaint in the first place! I would be happy to take a look at this for you and see what has happened/how it can be resolved if you'd like?

I can also say that for Media complaints it's CICAS that we refer you to if we either go over 8 weeks or offer a resolution that you do not agree to - which in turn means we would then Deadlock the case and you can take it further. 

Could I ask for more info about your complaint please? I'll be more than happy to help. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi Megan,

Thanks for stepping in and for your offer of help.

A summary of events:

• On 13th July I spoke with your retentions team as my contract was coming to an end. I agreed a new 18 month contract on a Volt M200 Fibre Broadband package and an O2 SIM to replace my previous Virgin Mobile service. The price agreed for the Fibre Broadband was £28.00
  • I received the O2 SIM a few days later, my number has been ported from Virgin Mobile, and have recently received my second bill from O2, which is all as expected
  • On 26th July I received a bill from Virgin Media for £97.00, approximately 3.5x the amount I was expecting

This bill contained the following:

• £34.25 for the prior months billing (14 Jul to 13 Aug) which was outstanding
  • £7.50 for a Late Payment Charge for this "missed" payment
  • £55.25 for the following month (14 Aug to 13 Sep)

Prior to this date, I was unaware the previous payment (due only a week earlier) had not been taken and had not been notified of any problem. My bank account has never been short of funds and having spoken to my bank I was told no payment was requested.

I assumed that either my billing had been suspended due to changing package earlier in the month, or there had been a related technical error which had resulted in the payment not being taken and the overbilling for the following month. Having worked in telecoms myself for 13 years, none of this was a particular concern or surprise as I am well aware that things can and do go wrong.

My original "complaint" was pretty simple:

1. I dispute the Late Payment Charge as I pay by Direct Debit so the collection of any payments is controlled by yourselves. Given my bank has stated no payment was requested, and none has been declined, I should not be liable for this charge
  2. Charges for the following month (14 Aug to 13 Sep) should be £28.00, not £55.25

I spoke to one of your customer service team via Web Chat on 29th July and they advised the following.

• I do have an active direct debit but the payment was not taken, therefore they would waive the late payment charge
  • The new package will be effective from 12th August
  • The excess charges would be credited on my next bill, and payments will be taken as follows
    • 17 Aug - £89.50 - £97.00 minus the £7.50 late payment fee
    • 17 Sep - £0.00
    • 17 Oct - £26.72
    • 17 Nov - £28.00

This is all roughly what I was expecting and, aside from being out of pocket for a couple of months, seemed as reasonable as could be expected. I left this conversation feeling everything was resolved and that was the end of the matter.

Nearly a fortnight after this call, I received an email from your "Resolutions" team advising that the Late Payment Charge would still be applied as my prior months bill was not paid! I have now exchanged 9 emails with your Resolutions team and it is clear they are not willing to provide any form of resolution, or abide by your own code of practice. To summarise just a few of the exchanges

• They do not acknowledge that I have not failed or refused to pay
  • They do not acknowledge that you have already agreed (in writing) that the Late Payment Charge should be waived, and they are unwilling to move on their stance that this charge is applicable
  • They have ignored my request for my case to be escalated to a manager, as per your code of practice
  • They have ignored my request for a deadlock, given the only resolution acceptable to myself has been refused and no alternative has been offered
  • They have now advised that actually a (partial) payment will be due on 17 Sep, again conflicting with the advice of your previous colleague
  • They have failed to provide an explanation for these additional costs

I must admit, your Resolutions team have provided nothing but wasted time and frustration, and most of their replies contradict their own prior messages. I have now spent endless hours in communication with you by phone, web chat and email and feel I am in a worse position than I was a month ago.

I don't feel my request is unreasonable; I simply want to be charged the £28.00 per month that has been agreed and is stated on my contract, and I don't want to pay late payment fees for payments which haven't been requested. A month later, I do feel an appropriate level of recompense for the many hours I have spent trying to get this matter resolved, would also be reasonable given the circumstances.

Anything you can do to get this matter resolved before I commence to ADR would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

PS Sorry for what turned into a much longer summary than I'd intended! 😳

Hi Ian, thanks a lot for your summary of events that is much appreciated.

Please allow me to send you a PM to look into this further and do what I can to help.

Please expect this PM to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the PM. I've just replied with the details requested.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi @ianroberts, thanks a lot for your PM confirming the details requested.

I've been able to reply to you via PM now - this is in two seperate messages and hopefully provides you with a resolution.

Kindly review and reply to this when you have some time.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Just to report back that a resolution has now been reached, thanks to Tom.

Tom understood my complaint straight away and after a couple of messages back and forth an agreeable solution has been arrived at.

Also, just to confirm, this was all resolved in a day or two - I've simply been a bit slow posting back here.

I'd just like to say it's a shame your customer service and resolutions teams were unable to take ownership but hats off to @Tom_W1 who has! 👍