cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation fee

mtennant
Dialled in

I negotiated a new package, removing Talk anytime to weekend chatter. It was suggested to me as my TiVo Box and its predecessor was old it needed to be replaced by V360 box and a mini one. A package price of £68 was agreed.

When I downloaded my new contract, there was an activation fee of £24.95. This fee was not mentioned in the conversation I had with the Virgin employee and, as such, I did not agree to it.

As a long term user of Virgin media and Telewest, I have not had this happen before.

The date of the negotiation was Monday AM 24 February. I have just had my first bill in and it shows this activation fee. I have had no luck phoning, having been promised return calls to discuss this.   

I consider this an illegal charge as it was not specified in the original conversation. If you agree to a service and that price changes, it is a breach of contract.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

unisoft
Well-informed

@mtennant wrote:

I negotiated a new package, removing Talk anytime to weekend chatter. It was suggested to me as my TiVo Box and its predecessor was old it needed to be replaced by V360 box and a mini one. A package price of £68 was agreed.

When I downloaded my new contract, there was an activation fee of £24.95. This fee was not mentioned in the conversation I had with the Virgin employee and, as such, I did not agree to it.

As a long term user of Virgin media and Telewest, I have not had this happen before.

The date of the negotiation was Monday AM 24 February. I have just had my first bill in and it shows this activation fee. I have had no luck phoning, having been promised return calls to discuss this.   

I consider this an illegal charge as it was not specified in the original conversation. If you agree to a service and that price changes, it is a breach of contract.

Is in their interest to get rid of the OLD Tivo box in favour of a v6 or 360. If it was me, I would question that with them.

You could ask for a DSAR as the call should have been recorded and kept for up to 6 months. This would reveal if they had told you or not. I previously asked to review a call recording and they agreed and honoured the original discussion.

Perhaps the Forum staff may be able to help, but you may have to ring back in again 😞

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

unisoft
Well-informed

@mtennant wrote:

Is in their interest to get rid of the OLD Tivo box in favour of a v6 or 360. If it was me, I would question that with them.

You could ask for a DSAR as the call should have been recorded and kept for up to 6 months. This would reveal if they had told you or not. I previously asked to review a call recording and they agreed and honoured the original discussion.

Perhaps the Forum staff may be able to help, but you may have to ring back in again 😞

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @mtennant thanks for your post here, although we're sorry to hear of your concerns raised here regarding the activation fee.

Please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into things further for you, kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly, and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mtennant,

Thank you for joining us in a private chat and for the requested information, glad to hear your Husband was able to fix the issue even though you don't know how, fingers crossed there won't be any further issues with it, you can find further help and support around our 360 box here.

Kind regards

Paul.