cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account password and memorable word issue.

cyrix
Joining in

I had occasion to contact Support 2 days ago (my last call to them was Donkeys' years ago) as my Modem had stopped working. Back in the old days, I could speak to a human and, if I'd forgotten my account password, I could offer a couple of suggestions and they would confirm of deny them.

This time I was transferred to a call centre, who asked me for my password and my memorable word, both of which I was unable to provide. However, an engineer was booked and the Modem replaced. I then went online to:

https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/account-settings/details. Under 'Sign in details', there is 'Password, and 'Password recovery question'. Plus 'Telephone security details' and
'Memorable word' (Edit). All these fields were blank, so I am unable to view and check them. I presume that my Account password is not the same one as I sign in to 'My Virgin media. So is is ok to fill in these fields and create a password etc from scratch?

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @cyrix 

That;s right. The passcode isn't the same as your account password, it's the memorable word from when your account was first set up.

Yes it's OK to fill in the Memorable Word fields and create a memorable word  from scratch

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Just to clarify, when the account was first set up, we had an account number with an area code, and a password. The original password was just a simple one, and stemmed from Cable London, then Blueyonder. It's that password that I'm trying to locate/change. As my passwords are alphanumerical and stored in a password manager, I wouldn't be able to recite the 1st, 4th, or 7th characters over the phone - an example being:  p7]9t*|6M-@mA&6mgL-I5v

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there cyrix,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Many apologies for the issues faced, to clarify were the team able to clear security via secondary at all?

Regards,

Kain

Hi Kain.  As I was unable to supply a password or memorable word, I was asked for my last bill amount. I dug out a paper statement from the bank dated from last December and that was accepted. But the guy said that he couldn't provide any further details about the our VM account

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Many thanks for getting back to me, 

Apologies for this, so we can investigate this for you and ensure the details are up to date I've dropped you a PM.

The message will appear within the purple envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain