cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 days left, but being quoted early termination fee to put 30 days notice??

hena_k
Joining in

Hi everyone, Hope everyone is well.

My Virgin media contract finishes on 15th June, 2023. I called up today (15th May) to discuss what I could get but looks like a different provider could offer me a reasonable package at a lower cost. So, I asked Virgin's retention team what I need to do to put in a 30 days notice for cancellation, to which the person replied I will have to pay an early termination fee!!

Now, I have been dealing with mobile phone contracts, Sky, BT etc for decades- I have always been told if you are within 30 days of your minimum contract period you can either upgrade, renew or put in a 30 days cancellation request so that your contract ends on the day your agreement ends (for me 15th June). I have NEVER been asked to pay an early termination fee just for putting in a 30 days notice, 30 days before the contract ran out!! 

Can someone advise me on how I can go about sorting this out, please and is the above a new law Virgin media are taking advantage of, even after the OFCOM fines for unfair early termination fee charges?? Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3

hena_k
Joining in

PS: I confirmed with the person on the phone that they weren't talking about the new bill either, which I know I wil have to pay anyways. But, the early termination charge is seperate to whatever the final 30 days of the contract will cost me.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For reasons best know to the person you spoke with the irrefutable fact the minimum contract period and notice period dates would either coincide or the latter occur later escaped them.

Consider trying again and should the issue persists post back here to have it flagged to the forum team.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey hena_k,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with giving your 30 days notice to leave us, you shouldn't have to pay any fees, if you have put your notice in to leave after your contract has expired.  

I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L