cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2023 new price shows 24% increase

leftsider
On our wavelength

I consider my current connection to be pretty good, but I just got the letter showing my new price and the increase is just under 24%. I was prepared for the (scandalous) 13.8% rise. When I called 150 the operator got flustered and told me the system was down and to call back tomorrow.

I’m afraid I don’t buy that.

Can anyone explain the huge rise please?

20 REPLIES 20

Cancellation without penalty is free if done by the date on the notification email. After that, it isn't and a change in the T&Cs mean every year RPI plus additional 3.9% based on full package price without any penalty free exit clause if in minimum term of a contract.

@leftsider wrote:
That appears to be exactly the situation, but the truth is cunningly hidden in small print

I was sold (using your figures) a 50% discount, not a £50 discount. Now I’m stuck paying too much for the rest of my contract. FWIW I got the discount with TV and phone bundled in because that made it cheaper than BB alone. With the price rise this is no longer true, so I suspect I will be checking how much cancellation will cost and I can leave.

Indeed, the £50 discount on a £100 full price was just to simplify the maths, but a 50% discount would work in a very similar manner (in fact in my, contrived, scenario it would be exactly the same).

I always think that the best approach is to ignore any claims of discounts and special offers, but just think, what am I actually paying each month and do I think that this figure is worth what I am getting for it? If no, then renegotiate or leave, but just as you are not obliged to use VM’s services, they aren’t obliged to keep you as a customer, in extremis they absolutely will see you go rather than compromise their pricing model!

Ultimately it comes down to this, are you prepared to pay what VM demand for their service? If yes, then that’s fine and absolutely nobody should criticise you for it. But if the answer is no, then you need to be prepared for a bit of a poker match, can you make VM believe that you are serious about leaving? Are you actually serious bout leaving? What alternatives are there in your area - the VM agents do know what is available to you, so don’t lie or exaggerate, because they’ll call your bluff!

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update leftsider,

I'd advise to get back in touch with the team, on the number given to investigate further.

Many apologies,

Kain

Can someone at Virginmedia tell us when we are supposed to get the letter about price rise !?!?!?!!

Most of us are now running out of time for the 30 day cancellation period !

What happens to those people who do not get a letter ???????

No way will I be conned into another contract if I do not get the letter stating that I have 30:days to cancel .

I will be cancelling my direct debit immediately !!!!!!!!!!

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cancelling your direct debit is simply you deciding not to pay your bill.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi rob11119551

You will receive a personalised communication that will detail the specific change to your monthly charge. Price increases will vary as it will be specific to the services you have. Your individual price rise will be specific to the service you have. Overall, the average price rise is 13.8%. Some price changes will be lower and some customers will be excluded completely.

We have recruited additional resource for when customers want to get in touch. You are able to call us on 150 from your Virgin Media home phone or 0345 454 1111. You can also chat to us online via our website.

Cancelling your Direct Debit won't cancel the service, it will leave an overdue balance on the account and can potentially impact the services and lead to adverse information being applied to your credit file.

Rob 

Received my letter regarding price increase of £7.

I am paying £23 for M125. 

On calling them, and selecting the 'i am thinking about leaving', i got an automated message offering £3.50 off for 6 months ( i have 9 months left on my contract). At first i accepted this, then called them again and spoke to a nice chap, who gave me £5.40 off until end of contract, which i am more than happy with. Be polite and they seem flexible.

I’ve had all the offers similar to that. But in 9 months your price will go much higher. We’ve had openreach put into the street now so Virgin do not have the monopoly on ultra fast, so I’m leaving. TBF they have offered to beat the price I have taken, but of course only for 18 months & then it will double.

Marv147
On our wavelength

How long were you expecting Virgin to offer you a price below what you’re paying to another supplier? For them to offer you an 18 month lower price offer seems very generous to me and at the end of month 17 of that contract there is nothing stopping you from repeating the process and getting another 18 month contract on similar terms.

leftsider
On our wavelength

I should have said

18 months with two uncontrollable price rises contained. Having been the subject of an almost 25% rise this time, why should I risk it. The new Broadband price is guaranteed fixed for 18 months. Then I can utilise the same kit to move to another ISP if they take the mick.

The cable monopoly has gone and Virgin now have competition. They need to get their prices right. I can literally get 5 times the speed for less.