cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14 day cooling off period (new customer) yet asked to service 30 day notice

Mjk900
Joining in

i received my router on 20th January 2023 and engineer came on 21st January 2023 to put my service live.  I requested cancellation on 23rd January 2023. I am only 2 days into my contract, so WELL within my 14 day cooling off period. My cancellation is gone through but I am being told that my disconnection date is on 22nd February 2023, because I have to serve 30 day notice and pay for one month of internet and a partial month. The customer service line is appalling as they never seem to have the answer or the phone is hung up on. 

The virgin terms and conditions under point M are as follows: 

5. If you cancel the services during the cooling off period, we will refund to you all payments received from you, including the costs of any delivery for any equipment you ordered, except for costs and charges set out in paragraphs M.5.1 and/or M.5.2. If you cancel an order for equipment, we will automatically cancel your order for the servicesunless you inform us otherwise

6. If you requested a service to begin during the cooling off period

7.we may require you to pay us an amount proportionate to any services which we have provided you up until the cancellation date

Knowing the above, I should only pay for 2 days (if that) of using the service and not giving 30 days notice. As I believe I do not need to give 30 days notice and I should be given a refund as opposed to me paying 2 months of internet. 

Is there a way to raise a complaint to virgin or do I have to take it to the ofcom ombudsman service?

thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You are correct, VM's imbecile staff are wrong.  if you cancel in the 14 day cooling off period it revokes the contract entirely, so there's no requirement for 30 days notice.  And you wouldn't have to pay anything other than (possibly) telephone call charges or paid content.

I'm sure staff will sort this out, if they can't then come back and we'll explain the process by which you put VM through the Ombudsman's masher. 

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Mjk900,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your cancellation, you are correct and shouldn't be charged to cancel your contract in the 14 day cooling off period. I have looked into your account and can see that this has been corrected, I cannot go into further details over the open forum but I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Hi Steven

Thank you for getting in touch. 

i have now responded to your private message. 

Please do advise me further. Thank you in advance.