cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scam calls

kathersdickers
Joining in

am constantly getting calls at all times of day and night from Indian call centre, saying on behalf of Virgin Media, they are really rude, I've been sworn at, and todays call was from [REMOVED]. Have registered with TPS today but wonder if anyone else is getting these calls?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You have been receiving calls from scammers pretending to be VM. The caller ID numbers they use are either faked or copied from a real number belonging to an innocent party (which looks like it is the case with the number you have listed). Best approach is to hang up on them and not speak to them. Unfortunately TPS will do nothing to stop this kind of call.

I use this device to screen out the scam calls and it is very effective.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

Some BT phones have a 'lite' version of the trueCall technology built into them and they work in a similar way but without as many features as the standalone device.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @kathersdickers,

Welcome to the community page, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the horrible calls you have been getting, it does seem to be scammers causing this.

Please do see our page on how to deal with fraudulent calls, we are limited to what we can do about this, but we will always offer as much help and advice as possible.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

praxis
Well-informed
I’ve been getting these calls for weeks the most annoying thing is when I pick up the receiver the number shown is a local number with the dialling code for my area.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @praxis

Please do use the link I have posted to report this, I am sorry to see that you are being affected by this also.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I don't really accept the statement that there is not a lot you can do about it.

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/3,02039714741 is showing that a number has been calling your customers for weeks, and comments there state you have been notified. Why has VM not blocked phone calls from that number from calling its network?

And why can VM not make it easier for us to block numbers, rather than having to pay for additional (third party) kit? If VM wanted to do something about this, it could. You'll never stop all of the calls, but you could do more to block known numbers or let customers have more control about which numbers ring through to them or just go to voicemail for example. You're not exactly a little startup, constrained by someone else's network.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us. 

Its particularly difficult to do anything because the numbers are spoofed, this means the specific numbers can't be tracked to its original point, they also change very quickly, we reporting the numbers via the method above we will do all we can to stop them calling. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

"they also change very quickly"

Well the one I linked to has reports associated with it since 5th November.

"reporting the numbers via the method above"

That page has a link to report it to Action Fraud not to yourselves, and unless someone has actually been defrauded they'll just log it "for information". Again, I struggle to believe you are doing everything you could be doing when a customer of yours has posted a link showing a number is contacting loads of your other customers. I have had 2 calls from the number today but didn't answer either of them, so can't even put in an Action Fraud report at all, despite it being obvious what the calls would have been about.

When a friend's number was spoofed a few years ago and appeared to be making fake calls to TalkTalk customers, TalkTalk responded within a couple of hours by blocking my friend from actually calling any TalkTalk customers! Are you not as good as TalkTalk?

john113
Dialled in

Yes all the time despite being registered to have them blocked, some are [allegedly] from VM or BT, some just say 'your service provider' threatening a cut off within 24 hours or 'your computer has issues', all easily recognised as scams and all with Asian accents who cant pronounce my name properly, its the annoyance of answering the phone at sometimes 7am just to stop it wakening the whole house

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I'm so sorry about that @john113.

I appreciate how frustrating this is and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team