cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ring indicator light on home phone not working

HareF
Joining in

Thanks to VM for getting my line fixed. However, can VM get my phone to work as it should? Yes, I can dial out and receive incoming calls, but my phone, in addition to the bell, also has a light which should light up when a call comes in (see attached). It works fine with BT copper, but doesn't light up on the VOIP. It comes with its own diect rj11 cable. I'd like to get all its features working please. Thanks.Bittel 25T bg.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin cannot make the light work on the phone, voip is what it is and they cannot make adjustments 

Hi there @jb66

Thank you for your post and I am so sorry to see the light is not working! 

Unfortunately we cannot assist with this, you can contact the manufacturing of the phone and they can advise you further on the compatibility of your phone with the VOIP system. 

Thanks again.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@HareF wrote:

Thanks to VM for getting my line fixed. However, can VM get my phone to work as it should? Yes, I can dial out and receive incoming calls, but my phone, in addition to the bell, also has a light which should light up when a call comes in (see attached). It works fine with BT copper, but doesn't light up on the VOIP. It comes with its own diect rj11 cable. I'd like to get all its features working please. Thanks.

Do the bells ring OK for an incoming call?

Is it just the indicator light that does not function when a call comes in?

Thanks.

Yes, the bells ring OK for incoming calls. It's just the indicator light that stays off.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@HareF wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, the bells ring OK for incoming calls. It's just the indicator light that stays off.

Unfortunately, can't find any online instructions for this phone. Seems to be a generic Chinese manufacturer under the TelPal brand name (on Amazon).

Have you just had your VM landline converted from a traditional VM wall socket connection over to a connection from the back of the VM hub?

Did the same phone and indicator light work OK on a previous VM landline wall socket?

Or have you moved from a previous wall socket where BT was your supplier and are now on a VM phone connection from the back of the hub?

The house has 2 connections. One is BT. The other is VM. Both were originally wall socket (with VM also providing the broadband line separately). We had an extension. The VM telephone cabling was lost by the builders. I noticed later that we were still paying VM for telephone and as I did need a line for work, I asked VM to restore our telephone. They were unable to provide a wall socket, but could enable VOIP instead. So now we have BT via wall for private/family and VM from Hub 3 for my calls and work.

The phone with the indicator light works fully on the BT wall socket (as do a GPO 746 (ProTelX - made in China) in the living room and an old GPO 332 on a BT extension to the study.  When connected to VM, the phone with the ring indicator light works in that it dials out and ring for calls received, but its light does not come on (the light worked with BT only with BT wall socket).

The phone with the light not working on VM VOIP is based on AT&T/ITT 2500 is made by Bittel (model 25T) sold by Banggood.  I got one on Amazon from TelPal, but they must have mixed their pictures up as they sent me a model without the light (so that will go back to them).

It would be interesting to know Voltage, Amperes and Hz values etc on VM VOIP and compare them with BT wall socket line. I am wondering whether I should feed the VM TEL output to a wall socket with capacitor (PABX type socket) and then a line from there back to the phone. I've also tried connection via Grandstream ATA (HT802), but I'm getting engaged tones (amongst other weird noises) and connecting via RJ45 seems a waste when there's RJ11 available (also tried a RJ11 to RJ45 cable (from Hub3 TEL 1 to Grandstream blue socket with RJ11 phone cable from Grandstream Phone 1 to telephone) but that didn't work either.

Hi HareF, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this and updating us on the situation. 

Unfortunately, as long as you are able to make and receive calls, we're not able to provide further support. The light is a feature of the telephone handset and not Virgin Media so therefore we don't have any support we can provide for this. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's worth contacting the manufacturer to ensure the phone is compatible with VOIP as this is what all telephone lines will be transitioning too over the next few years. You can read more on the migration here

If you have any further issues, please let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@HareF wrote:

<snip>

It would be interesting to know Voltage, Amperes and Hz values etc on VM VOIP and compare them with BT wall socket line. I am wondering whether I should feed the VM TEL output to a wall socket with capacitor (PABX type socket) and then a line from there back to the phone. I've also tried connection via Grandstream ATA (HT802), but I'm getting engaged tones (amongst other weird noises) and connecting via RJ45 seems a waste when there's RJ11 available (also tried a RJ11 to RJ45 cable (from Hub3 TEL 1 to Grandstream blue socket with RJ11 phone cable from Grandstream Phone 1 to telephone) but that didn't work either.

For clarity, the phone service from the back of the VM hub is not a VOIP connection. It uses VOIP technology to deliver a standard phone connection to the TEL1 RJ11 socket on the back of the hub but that socket is just for a standard telephone.

You could investigate trying an adapter which incudes a ringing capacitor. The fact that the phone does actually ring though suggests that may not be the solution to the issue.

From the product page of the UK Banggood website it states

The ring indicator will flash when there is an incoming call.(When using fibre optic or when the telephone line voltage is low, the indicator may not flash.)

so you might be on a bit of a road to nowhere with the quest to get the ringing light working.

UPDATE:

I can get it to work using RTX Phone Jack (see attached).

Thanks all.rtx phone jack.jpgrtx phone jack rj11 cnxs.jpg