cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone line hacked

brionyh12
Joining in

Morning,

I have been trying to contact virgin over my services being suspended because I haven't paid my bill, I haven't paid my bill as I am still waiting for a manager to call me back in regards to my phone line being hacked. Someone has managed to get onto my phone line and I am now being charged for phone calls I haven't made. I don't even have a home phone plugged in as I have unlimited calls on my mobile. these calls have been racked up to 350 minutes, I wouldn't mind if it was actually me but like I have stated I don't even have a house phone plugged in. I have to pay the bill as my daughter needs it for school but I have to borrow it off a family member so once it has been corrected I will need my money back.

I don't feel safe that someone has been able to manage this.

6 REPLIES 6

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi brionyh12, thanks for posting.

Really sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your phone line. I'm unsure about your phone line being hacked but I understand this can sometimes happen with a crossed-line - has an engineer visit been arranged at this stage so the line can be checked over?

Once it's determined that a crossed line has caused this any incorrect charges you've been billed for would be waived. 

Tom

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I can understand that you are very worried about this phone problem brionyh12, and it needs to be sorted quickly.

But please be advised that stopping payment will not in any way make Virgin respond to the problem any quicker. Their billing department is entirely separate from the engineering staff, and all they care about is that there is a debt.  If you don't pay they will post it as a bad debt on your credit reference files and eventually send to it debt chasing agencies.  You may very well think that this is unfair, but that's the way they work.  I'd advise you to continue paying the bills, and rely on getting a refund when the problems are fixed.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@brionyh12 wrote:

Morning,

I have been trying to contact virgin over my services being suspended because I haven't paid my bill, I haven't paid my bill as I am still waiting for a manager to call me back in regards to my phone line being hacked. Someone has managed to get onto my phone line and I am now being charged for phone calls I haven't made. I don't even have a home phone plugged in as I have unlimited calls on my mobile. these calls have been racked up to 350 minutes, I wouldn't mind if it was actually me but like I have stated I don't even have a house phone plugged in. I have to pay the bill as my daughter needs it for school but I have to borrow it off a family member so once it has been corrected I will need my money back.

I don't feel safe that someone has been able to manage this.

Good advice from @jpeg1 above.

The issue of 'phantom call' charges crops up on the forums about 3 or 4 times per month. In about half of the topics, the customer does not have phone plugged in to the line.

If your phone service comes via a conventional telephone wall socket, then a 'crossed line' is a common explanation (i.e. someone has been inadvertently connected to your line and is using their phone line against your account billing). If your phone service comes from the back of the hub then a different explanation may apply.

The usual approach is for VM to send a technician to investigate. Where a crossed line is the cause, this is remedied and VM refund the money. Typically all this takes place off the public forum via private messages and only a few outcomes and explanations make their way back to the public forum as to what had gone on.

Hopefully VM will resolve this for you with a technician visit and refund the money.

Hello, 

No I have been waiting to hear back about an engineer to come out!! And I paid the bill the clear to my normal monthly payment and now being charged another £211! 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @brionyh12

I am really sorry to hear that you have had these issue. 

I am going to pop you over a PM so that I can look into this further. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for providing me with that information via PM. 

From all the checks I have run from here do Indicate that there is a crossed line, however I need an engineer to come and check over things.  I have taken the opportunity to book this for you, for the time date & to make any amendment please visit your My Virgin Media account.

Kind regards,

Zak_M