cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

number port

pblagan
Joining in

hi team

it has been a nightmare for me in the last few days attempting to get an answer to my question. Called CS at VM 8 times yesterday to be given different answers depending on who I spoke to.

I will explain as below:

I have activated a new line at a new property with VM several months ago. Prior to ordering the new connection I asked the sales team if I could port my number from TalkTalk, and I was assured several times it would be ok. I have even called them 4-5 times after this to make sure, and VM have always said it would be ok, on the new DOCSIS system, which im on.

The old property is now sold, which was occupied by my elderly parents, and they will be moving in with me in the next few days and keeping the number is very important, as they have had that number for the last 35 years.

I have spoken to the VM on the 23/11/21, and advised them of the number we wish to move from TT, which is out of contract and in my name. The number is 0121551XXXX in post code B202LX

The telephone number I want it to replace is 0192286XXXX post code WS98AH.

They advised me of the date of porting the number, but it all depends on the rep I speak to:

Ie most rep think the number port will not be an issue as there DOCSIS system is like VIOP and it does not matter where the number is coming from geographically, and other say it will not work, as it coming from a different exchange.

Can anyone on here give me the correct answer, as if the number is not able to port from TT, I need to give my notice to them ASAP – I have not done this yet.

13 REPLIES 13

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @pblagan

Thanks for posting. 

I'll be happy to help with this.

I'll send you a PM now

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

thank you for the reply 

however you will only be able to see the notes left by your colleagues yesterday, and it will confuse and may matter worse for me. 

there is however an open application for the number port due on the 3-11-21

some of your colleagues are rather confused, and tell me yes the number port will work fine, and then when i explain to them about exchanges & site id's, and postcodes, they change there story to say no it can not be done. and then others say it does not matter as we use DOCSIS.

it is a very simply questions, if the telephone number is with TT, linked to an particular exchange, can VM take it over onto the DOCSIS system at a different post code, which about 6-7 miles away?

HI @pblagan

Thanks for your message - we're not able to arrange or make calls from here.

So I can assist further, can you provide the details via PM 

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

it is a very simply questions, if the telephone number is with TT, linked to an particular exchange, can VM take it over onto the DOCSIS system at a different post code, which about 6-7 miles away?

This is what I am trying to find out hence getting all the details from you in a PM check. 

If you do not wish to provide the details, call the team and they'll help further 150 / 0345 454 1111 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

check your PM

Thanks for providing me those details. The note indeed does indicate you can't. That could be correct and this is from the telephony team themselves. I shall reach out to you when I have more information, hopefully tonight if not it will be tomorrow.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

but many of your colleagues have mentioned this information from telephony team is INCORRECT - your colleagues have said they do not see any reason why the number can not ported - this is why i am so confused!

there is nothing on this forum that ic an find to suggest why it can not be ported either.

i just need a yes or no 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

AIUI, you can port your landline number between telecoms providers if you remain in the same property and on the same exchange.

You can move your number from one property to another as long as both properties are served by the same exchange.

If you move properties and the two addresses are on different exchanges then you cannot port the number between the two properties.

I think the issue is being confused here because of the DOCSIS/VOIP terminology being used incorrectly.

From a past post on here, phone connections from the back of the hub are not true VOIP connections and they still connect to the same exchange equipment as before at the moment, therefore the above applies.

I believe what you want to achieve is possible if you transfer the original number to a true VOIP provider and, in that case, the geographical limitation does not apply but VM does not offer a VOIP service so that would have to be via a third party VOIP service provider.

That's my understanding of how it works. Hopefully @John_GS can give you a definitive answer or one of the forum experts, such as @nodrogd, can elaborate if he happens on this topic.

Edit: Link to past mention of non-VOIP phone connection from the hub is below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/VOIP/m-p/4559639#M146330