cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no dial tone, southern england: PO12 postcode

duncs1
Joining in

I suspect it is a bigger problem than just me but service status says ok, but land line has no dial tone. 

and yes i have done all the checks

anybody else suffering in central southern england?

8 REPLIES 8

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi duncs1, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Sorry to hear about the issue you're having here - can I ask how long this has been the case for? 

Thanks for letting me know you've done some checks, is it possible you can let me know which ones you have done? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

since Saturday

checked plug is secure, plugged directly into wall socket. checked operation of phone with relative who lives local and is on BT. I get a ring tone if plugged into my BT wall socket but obviously it is not connected so cannot dial out. 

cannot receive incoming calls also just no sound when trying to ring in

i would say that broadband has been below normal service as well, significant drops down to low teens

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I will send you over a private message so I can confirm some details with you. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.

just to close the loop on this in case is looking.
Ryan at forum team booked me a visit to sort out my landline. text messages kept me informed so happy and i kept checking to see if it got fixed twice a day. funny enough it did the day VM were due to attend my house.
funny that, anyway cancelled the visit.
landline restored and internet a little more stable, although i still get a couple of drops to almost nothing at least twice per day!!

Hi @duncs1

Thank you for the update, I am happy to hear the landline has now been restored. 

With regards to the broadband, I have taken a look at things from our side and there are no issues or outages showing for your service. 

What lights are on the hub please? Can you please check all the wires and connections are secure. Please also reboot the hub if you haven't done so recently. 

Please pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

hi vikki
sorry for long delay in response. the timeframe depends on my frustration level, to answer your question, the router has normal lights present. I turn it off and on again about one a month. I have talked to your team over the phone about periods where the whole thing grinds to zero. typical times are working day anytime between 0730 and 0930 and again around 1400-1600. Weekends timing seems to be late morning and again mid afternoon. i suspect it is a load thing (external load) and you not being able to cope.
i have no gamers in the house, i occasionally work from home. We have modern vehicles to browse, all apple.
the only way i ever see the full capacity available to me is if i connect with a wire, even then then it so not consistent.
like i said i have talked to your team previously about this, even they sent me a new (old) standard router. my contract is up in Aug this year. I would settle for a slower speed if at least it was consistent, this may well be my approach when renew time comes.

Hi @duncs1.

Thank you for coming back to us. I have taken a look at our systems and cannot see anything that should be causing these drop out issues. I also have taken a look at the area and there are currently no issues reported or anything that looks out of specification to warrant network investigations. As broadband is becoming increasingly more used at home, overall WiFi performance may start to show some affects of this. We do recommend connecting into the router whenever you can, though we know this is not always possible. 

If you have connection issues over the WiFi, I recommend downloading our Connect app to see if you are getting a strong/stable signal into the rooms of your home. If the connection is weak, it will look like the internet drops off the device. If you do have blackspots in the home, we have WiFi Pods available to boost a strong signal further. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be here to help if needed.  

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley