cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my landline has been hacked?

Scotnav
Tuning in

couldnt get incoming calls. called 150 got Chap called freddy who asked for letters from password.

he then asked for bank sort code or any details from bank card I said NO WAY and hung up.

changed password on VMedia account.

phone wouldnt come off 150 call everytime I tried it.

my phone is now dead --no dial tone.

unplugged it for ten minutes.  dial tone back now.

no incoming calls 

dont trust 150 now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM's security checks do involve asking for three characters from the customer's memorable word. Bank sort code has been mentioned before on the forums. Not a great piece of info to request IMO and VM could certainly make some improvements to their customer validation procedures.

One of the VM forum team should be able to help with your phone fault. This may, however, lead to them asking you for similar details via a private message (not visible on the public forum). VM staff on here are identified by 'Forum Team' under their forum name, alongside the VM infinity logo. They will normally reply within a day or two.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM's security checks do involve asking for three characters from the customer's memorable word. Bank sort code has been mentioned before on the forums. Not a great piece of info to request IMO and VM could certainly make some improvements to their customer validation procedures.

One of the VM forum team should be able to help with your phone fault. This may, however, lead to them asking you for similar details via a private message (not visible on the public forum). VM staff on here are identified by 'Forum Team' under their forum name, alongside the VM infinity logo. They will normally reply within a day or two.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Scotnav,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I am sorry this has caused some concerns. I have taken a look at the account and can see you contacted our team on 29th June and it was my colleague who tried completing DPA with you. We do ask for secondary DPA questions if the characters from the memorable word do not match. 

In regards to the phone fault, I understand you have a dial tone now but no incoming calls. Can I ask if you have gone through the basic checks listed here at all or tried an alternative handset?

If the issue persists, I will need to arrange an engineer for you. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi 

i know you ask for security details, but not bank account sort code and "any card details". Which is what  "Freddy" 

asked for!   I have a dial tone now but can't get incoming calls.  This is the second time in a couple of months this has happened with 

my landline.  Can VM please sort this. ?  Is it possible to change my phone number? 

I will be more than happy to assist with the landline fault. Can I just ask, when this conversation with 'Freddy' took place exactly? Was it on the 29th June as per my initial message?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Scotnav wrote:

Hi 

<snip>

my landline.  Can VM please sort this. ?  Is it possible to change my phone number? 

Are you able to say why you want to change your number (is it linked to the above issue and/or the call to VM/'Freddy')?

Be aware that if you change your landline number, your 'new' replacement number will actually come from a pool of recycled phone numbers allocated to VM. The replacement number may potentially bring with it its own set of problems, especially if it has been previously used in connection with any business or has fallen out of use previously because of nuisance calls.

Ok.  Changing number is not an option. 

What next?

Took place today

I am going to send you a PM so I can request some details and take a closer look into this for you. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

I can't open the PM
How do I access it?