cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost landline number

premier1
Joining in

I entered a new contract with Virgin on 29 March and let my Sky contract run out on 4 April. I requested to keep my landline phone number, but no attempt was made by Virgin to port the number before the Sky line closed down and now the number is lost. This was a vital medical lifeline number and the loss of it has huge potential consequences. Virgin say Sky can reopen the line - Sky say the line has gone forever. The line I want restored is still not in use anywhere - as I've tried ringing it and it's not in service. Surely Virgin - having messed up the porting of the number - should be able to retrieve it from BT Openreach?

12 REPLIES 12

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you contacted Sky & gave notice that you were leaving then any port request from Virgin will fail no matter what.

Landline porting is “new provider led” & the porting request from the new provider does everything, including any cancellation with Sky. The only thing you need to cancel is TV. The port request from Virgin does the rest.

Virgin have done everything they are supposed to under OFCOMs switching codes. The line at Sky must remain active with no cancellation request from you against it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @premier1,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

Sorry to hear you have had an issue with your landline port after joining our services. We can understand the inconvenience caused and we want to best help. Was the great advice given by @nodrogd helpful in better explaining what may have happened? Also, have you been in contact with BT Openreach regarding the number? If so, what was discussed?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It was an explanation, but hasn't helped me resolve the issue at all. The migration department at BT Openreach was closed at 3pm today, so haven't got hold of anyone. It's very frustrating as the number is clearly still available.

In this case, we would advise contacting BT Openreach when you can for the status of the number. In the meantime, do you currently have an active alternative lifeline number? Is it working well? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for replying.
Without going into detail - several parents have our old number to use when they need emergency medical advice from my wife re their children. She does not keep their numbers so is unable to inform them of the change.

Hi @premier1

The line would need to be active for us to request the number.

If you could please pop back to us once you have spoken with BT and let us know if they were able to open the line again to allow us to port that would be appreciated.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi,

BT OpenReach and Sky have managed to revive my original landline number. It is now live and simply needs to be ported over to Virgin. Can you set this task in progress?

Great to hear premier1 🙂

So I can help you with this I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Hi,

Do you mind me asking how you managed to achieve this? I have an identical situation and Sky are telling me even if they set everything back up again, they would not be able to get my number back and BT Openreach don't have an obvious contact number for end users (though I'm still looking).

Was it ultimately OpenReach that sorted it out?

Thanks.