cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

landline switch to modem, phones not ringing.

Jayktee
Tuning in

Since the switch to digital landline using my Hub 3 connection to my existing telephone points, one of my phones no longer rings on incoming calls, I can make calls. Tried another wired handset and all phone jacks give same result. Handsets are both REN 1 -1 rings and 1 does not, plus Panasonic cordless works fine. Tried all combinations of phones in every jack. What has changed? J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Jayktee, and welcome back!

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been experience with the handset not ringing when a call is incoming.

Can you please see if the handset rings when a call is received whilst being the only handset connected to the router for me?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Jayktee, and welcome back!

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been experience with the handset not ringing when a call is incoming.

Can you please see if the handset rings when a call is received whilst being the only handset connected to the router for me?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Jayktee wrote:

Since the switch to digital landline using my Hub 3 connection to my existing telephone points, one of my phones no longer rings on incoming calls, I can make calls. Tried another wired handset and all phone jacks give same result. Handsets are both REN 1 -1 rings and 1 does not, plus Panasonic cordless works fine. Tried all combinations of phones in every jack. What has changed? J

What sort of age is the phone that does not ring?

Phones from the early 2000s, and before, are often mentioned on here with this issue (due to a wiring-related issue when the phone is connected via the VM hub).

Did VM come and link your existing telephone extension sockets to the phone connection from the hub when you were switched over?

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Jayktee

Did you have the opportunity to follow the advice offered by my colleague?  If so, how have things gone?  Do you need us to have a look at things from our side, on your behalf?

Regards

Lee_R

Hello, and thanks for the reply. The phone does not ring in any socket even when no others are connected. It seems from another reply that some older phones have this problem, so that appears to be the case and there is nothing to be done. Thanks again. JKT

Hello Lee, It seems from the previous  reply that some older phones have this problem, so that appears to be the case and there is nothing to be done except replace the phone. Thanks again. JKT

I understand Jayktee.

Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Please bear in mind, you can manage your account from here. Your online account, will give you access to your bills, show your package details, diagnose any possible faults and monitor any orders and appointments you may have. 
Regards
Lee_R  

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Jayktee wrote:

Hello Lee, It seems from the previous  reply that some older phones have this problem, so that appears to be the case and there is nothing to be done except replace the phone. Thanks again. JKT

The matter of an adapter with a 'ringing capacitor' in it has been discussed many times over on the phone forum. Here is a recent topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-Phone-not-ringing/m-p/5161938

Replacing the VM adapter with one which has the ringing capacitor in might resolve the issue. No guarantees it will though so keep that in mind if you decide to buy one to try.

If running extension sockets from the adapter with the ringing capacitor, the phone extension cabling must carry the third 'bell wire' to all of the extension sockets so each socket presents the ringing signal to each phone socket.