cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

landline constantly engaged

WADDO
Joining in

Tv works, Broadband works but the landline is constantly engaged. This has happened several times recently and lasted for days at a time. Please help.

5 REPLIES 5

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @WADDO thanks for your post here although we're sorry to hear of your concerns raised regarding your landline.

I've checked the line and there are no outages on the network, but can you confirm firstly please the following:
- You're connected to the master phone socket?

- Have you tried a different handset?

Many thanks

Tom_W

TESTED PLUG SOCKET AND PHONE SOCKET. WIRELESS HANDSET IS IS FULLY CHARGED. TRIED A SECOND HANDSET THAT IS KNOWN TO BE WORKING AND STILL NO DIAL TONE AND WHEN RINGING INTO THE LAND LINE IT IS AN ENGAGED TONE.

Thanks for confirming this @WADDO 

How many pieces of equipment are connected to the phone line?

There are a few troubleshooting checks I will need you to perform to see if they are successful in resolving the issue. Can you: 

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON.
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets.
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Let me know if any of these checks work at all, or if anything changes with the dial tone. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

TRIED MULTIPLE HANDSETS AND THERE IS ONLY ONE SOCKET IN THE HOUSE. STILL NOT WORKING.

Hi WADDO,

We're sorry to hear of the landline issues experienced, we appreciate the frustration and confusion this can cause and you raising it via the forums.

From checking it appears everything is in place and no local issues, we have refreshed the line so if you could check to see if this has resolved the issue?

Let us know. 

Rob